8.8 ah 48v battery to 1000w ?

Daminionz

1 µW
I've got myself a 48V 8.8 Ah (422 watt/hour) battery and I'm wondering if it could power a 1000w hub motor ? Not looking for a huge range, all I'm looking for is for it not to burn everything down x]
Would be thankful if anyone could explain what possibly could go bad with this combination, as some have suggested that it's not a good idea, but without further explanation...

Some details about the battery itself -

The battery's got high strand count discharge cable with Teflon insulation for heat resistance
Assembled with genuine Samsung cells
High Current (40A) BMS to protect from overcharge and over discharge

(Obviously I'd have a 48v 1000w controller, 48v 1000w hub motor and the battery itself which I'm hoping to be compatible - 48v 8.8ah)

(Currently thinking about buying https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Fat-tyre-26inch-snow-ebike-hub_60690477064.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.20083e5fUBHL5O 20'' x 4'' )

Thanks !

Take note of the battery's continuous discharge rate. That will determine if it is suitable for a 1000W setup. If you are running at 48V, then the 1000W will require a minimum of approximately 21 amps continuous amps from the battery. (48V x 21 amps = 1008 watts). I highly suggest reading more about battery specifications before continuing with your purchase/build so that you understand your needs. Please read though some of the sticky topics in the battery section:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

EDIT: That kit that you have listed says it comes with a 48V 26amp controller... so 26+ amps continuous would be a better match.

Thanks for you answer !

Just to double check, the part where I wrote ''High Current (40A) BMS to protect from overcharge and over discharge'' Is this not it ? Is this not the amperage I should be looking for?
If so , it's way over 26amps and should be ok, right ?

Get confirmation from the seller or manufacturer that its continuous discharge capacity is at least 26A.

40 amps bms means nothing really, those cells could be only able to put out 15 amps.

I think it will run ok. But it depends on how you ride. Its a no brainer that a bigger battery would be best. The small one, you should go easy on it as you can.

26 amps max current on that particular kits controller. Decent cells should be able to put out 15 amps continuous. 2c discharge rate for that size pack. One c rate for 8 ah would be 8 amps, 2c would be 16 amps, and so on. Most reasonably good cells can stand a 3 c spike. But maybe not continuous, or spikes like that every 60 seconds like off road riding can be.

However, that is a small battery, and it will still much prefer a 12 amps discharge rate, vs the 26 amps spikes. ( 1.5c rate or less is about where most cells start to be happy) If you plan on very hard riding off road, hills, deep sand, or if you weigh over 250 pounds, the battery will suffer, and thus, last half as long.

Bottom line is this, once you get riding, if that battery gets hot, like cup of coffee hot, its dying.

It will definitely be possible to ride easy on this battery, 15 mph cruising no sweat, since that only takes about 400w. If you have to, just stop using full throttle to keep your battery cool.

Back