WTB 400x Sanyo NCR18650GA - sources, experiences shipping to Canada

Hello all,

I need to purchase 400x Sanyo NCR18650GA cells.

I would prefer to find someone local (GVRD or Canada) who might be willing to sell me a stash of non-fake recently made Sanyos at a reasonable price given the quantity. I will probably have to settle with importing from China through dhgate or similar. One of the problems with negotiating with Asian sellers is the language barrier. I can’t always get a clear answer what actually happens when cells get into Canada, which is why I’m asking for anyone who has done this recently to let me know how things went for them.

One of the problems I’ve encountered is the limited options that seem to be available for delivery. The one dhgate seller that has a good rep and the cells I need, insists on using UPS. These are the same guys who have “decided” that Gibsons is now a “remote location”, who then won’t let one know when to expect their delivery, and either lost a welder I was expecting, or dumped on my porch it without knocking and it was stolen. If I’m forced to use UPS, and they “lose” my batteries, I’m out several $K, and if someone steals it due to their negligence, someone might get hurt playing with lithium cells. I did find out that I might be able to pick them up at a local UPS store, but I’m still checking into that. (I’d still prefer to use Fedex or Purolator or ePacket) I see that some other sellers use something called ePacket to Canada (China Post?), but there are no details what that actually means when the package is locally delivered or what the other charges total.

I am aware that lithiums are now treated as “dangerous goods”, and only certain couriers are able to meet all the rules, but this isn’t a new thing. I have tried local vape shop owners, and while they are willing to order on my behalf the cells I need, their prices are double what I can get through China, and the vapers can’t even be sure they aren’t selling fakes until they arrive.

Has anyone recently received these kind of non-fake cells in similar quantities to a Canadian destination, and if so, what courier was used, what was the shipping & duty costs, and how were they delivered. Any tips as to reliable online sellers or local companies who buy these kinds of cells and who would let me add to their order would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead,

<*>aj

Fedex really is a Bitch.

I use Nkon.nl to buy my cells:
https://ru.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/sanyo-18650ga.html
mAz8UaU.png

But it looks like they also use fedex. But I'm sure you can talk to them, to use DHL or something else.

There is also a member here on the forum who sells all kinds of cells. But he ships also from the EU.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61608

Care to be a little more detailed in your troubles with Fedex?

I'm aware of nkon, but I've also heard on this board that in the past they have labelled lithium shipments as NIMH to get through customs, and that this could risk the shipment being impounded, i.e. stolen by the government. I need to make sure that the shipment will arrive, eventually.

I would prefer information from people who are shipping these cells to Canada, as that would be most useful to me.

You can tell them to label it properly.

My issue with Fedex was that they charged me over 50% import tax, twice! They had me Pay 100€ for a 150€ kelly controller :evil:

So from now on I just use DHL, they are quick and you can pay the taxes beforehand via PayPal.

Problem with Dhl, at least in my end of Canada, is that they would hold a package for customs, but neglect to let me know. Then when I tracked them down, I was told that I could either pay through their (virus corrupted) website or refuse the delivery. I was then told they don't trust their drivers with money anymore. After a lot of shouting about stolen property, and five calls, I got someone to admit they actually had a way to pay over the phone.

Then a year later, I decided I wanted to order the exactly same product, and thought that I was wise to their evil ways this time, but this time I was told that they don't allow phone payment any more, but that they will take payment with the driver. When he showed up, he was not even equiped to scan my card like most couriers, so I stood there while he wrote out my number and info on the edge of his clipboard like someone from the 20th century.

While Dhl is not as bad as UPS, I'm still trying to find someone local at UPS who handles batteries, and who might let me know what to expect. As I mentioned, my preferred seller is on dhgate and insists on UPS only. They claim that I won't be charged duties or other import fees, but that is why I want to talk to someone at UPS on the record before I order.

Cheers,

<*>aj

The problem with a lot of sellers is that they neglect to put your phone number and email on the DHL Invoice. It's happened to me before with some Aliexpress orders, but never with BMS battery and other more professional sellers like Bestech and Kelly (when I ask them to ship with DHL at least)

Make sure when you buy from Dhgate or from anyone else for that matter, that they fill out as much info on the invoice as possible like E-mail,Phone Number etc.

And you sure as hell are paying the import tax when buying from china or Anywhere else. There is no way to avoid tax with an order alost 2000usd worth unless you bought them from someone in Canada.

Back