Connectors for a 16.8V pack 10A

Ozzyfr

10 µW
Hi, I am building a pack 4S9P and I would like to use a GX connector,
I saw GX12 connectors that can handle 5A at 220V or GX16 7A at 220V
Would a single pin of a GX 12 could handle 10A at 16V ? I guess yes if P=U.I then a single pin would support just 1/10 of its maximum at 10A and 16V right?

or should I use 4 pins of a GX12 and connect the + and - to 2 pins each to divide the amps going through each
or should I use a GX16 ?

Thanks!

I would say no, the pins where the wires are solder are extremely small, for small gauge wire. I use those connectors before and I wouldnt run any large amps (at low voltage) through them, maybe 5 amps.
Even though small gauge wire can handle 10 amps at (low voltage) they will get quite warm.

What kind of gauge wire were you planning on using? those connectors will be about 18 gauge to solder properly.

Why not use some XT60?

I like the GX series as they are securely screwed, I was planning on using 12 or 14AWG

you can but they will melt, especially the fake ones you get from china.
5A limit is 5A limit. it does not matter what the voltage is.
also if you are going that route you need to use all the pins so double or triple up.

The main design consideration that voltage imposes on component design is that...the higher the voltage, the farther a spark can "jump" from one connector to the other. This is why computer chips typically use only 5V (with a lot of tiny and thin conductors squeezed together very closely), and 220V connectors have pins that are farther apart than 110V connectors. You could run lower voltages on connectors designed for higher voltages, but you should never go the other way.

When it comes to amps, you need a larger cross-section of conductor (fatter wire) when the amps are higher. You could run lower amps on fatter wire, but...if you run high amps in skinny wire, it will get too hot, along with the system experiencing a voltage drop due to the wire being too small to handle the desired amps.

That’s clear thank you!
So what about dividing the connection across 2 pins of a 4 pins gx12 or a gx16? Would a max of 10A be divided in 2 so 5A max on each?

it depends on the manufacuters rating of the connector.

some have a per pin current rating and others have a combined rating, yo see this a lot in the "oriental markets" to boost their ratings.

i think 10A sustained in that cheap 4 pin connector is pushing it. it will get hot and in due time it will melt.

try using something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WEIPU-WP20-series-4-pin-waterproof-connector-Plug-and-socket-cable-connectors-Rated-current-30A/32789282457.html

i use these connectors for a lot of setups. the panel side has a spring loaded cover so crap can never get in and you cant forget to close it.
it also has no problem with 15A sustained.

Thank you for the link,

These seam a bit oversized for what I need to do, I will not draw 10A continuously, only for a few seconds then it should not be more than 5 or 6A Do you know something that is between the gx12 and the wp20?

what are you going to use it for? charging or running a motor or something?

might want to check here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/SD13TP-ZM-Outdoor-waterproof-connector-connector-4-pin-plugs-and-socket-Plastic-Circular-Waterproof-Connector/2411052_32729139263.html

1 size down but if you say 10A "for a few seconds" you are really saying that you need 10A continous. if you are already running at the limit at 5A and then you do a 10A burst you will melt the connector. ALWAYS assume worst case. i got 5 jobs the past month rebuilding batteries and 4 of them had melted connectors.

Back