advice for replacing bad cell in 3s2p 18650 pack.

Offroader

1 MW
I madae these 3s2p packs, or 12 volt 18650 packs using 6 cells to power my laptop. I use two packs in series for 24 volts and that powers my dell notebook.

I noticed one of the parallel groups or two cells is draining much lower than the others on one of the packs, like .2 volts with half use and I assume it is a bad cell.

I used the panasonic ncr18650b cells on these packs a couple of years ago.

My question is, after I break apart the cells and find the bad cell, do you see any issues with replacing it with a new Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500 MMAH cell? I have some of these laying around from my ebike build and figured I would use one of them. They will have more capacity then the older ncr18650b cells used in my 3s2p packs for sure.

The question is does it really matter about replacing the one bad cell with a probably higher capacity cell? Or should I try and match it?

I balance charge these packs every time I charge them so I don't see any big deal but just thought I would ask.

Thanks

OK, so I went to find the bad cell and what happened is the nickel strip I soldered to the cells actually popped off one of the cells, so I was only using 1 cell in parallel instead of 2. I soldered the nickel tab back on and everything seems back to normal.

I soldered these packs as these were before I had my JP spot welder. I tried to be quick with the solder so as not to heat the cell and I guess it didn't hold well enough in the long term.

I thought it was kind of odd to actually have a 18650 cell fail like this as they seem to be crush proof unlike lipo pouches which crush very easily. I really abuse these cells as I throw them in my laptop bag and backpack and they get really banged up, yet they seem to fare quite well.

UtGM6fL.jpg

Back