Determining the copper wire gauge size for the parallel and series connection.

EHCanadian

100 µW
Question for your 18650 builders. I know spot welding and nickel strips are preferred.

But. I am wondering if one should stay with the positive and negative wire gauge size for the output connector.

Example. My SLA 12v 20ah years. I always stayed with 8,10 or 12 copper gauge for my terminal runs depending on what the controller was capable of doing. Never had melting wires. I only had to take into consideration the parallel and series as a whole battery.

I'm about to build my 1st pack and I had a question about the parallel and series copper wire gauge size.
Does one have to take into consideration what the parallel is capable of doing in terms of amps?

A 28P 2600mah 3.7v for my demand is capable of delivering 72.8ah. The controller is capable of pulling 80A peak. The cells can take that peak no problem. So does one look only at the parallel peak draw and as long as the cells can take it do you use that figure to determine?

Or just stay with the SLA way.. Keep to your charge/discharge copper wire gauge size the same for your series and parallels (6 or 8 gauge) due to my 80A peak draw requirement with a 3S.

Hope I have explained it right.

The parralel does nothing in amps, only the series connections carry the current. The parralel is just there to keep them balanced.

Back