LiPo battery caught fire during charging

armandd

100 W
Very fierce and sudden lipo fire caught on CCTV. Happened in Malaysia. :shock:

[youtube]IAAxeXhmQuE[/youtube]

I'm guessing poor manufacturing qa caused it. Shoot I recently overcharged my 18650 pack to 4.3v per cell and never had an issue. Thank you panasonic cells! Won't ever do that again! Hello 4.1v per cell!

Yikes... That should be required viewing for anybody considering unsupervised charging in a confined dwelling.
And strictly an off the cuff observation, most 18650 fires seem to have the string of firecrackers sound... But with the one big pop and smoke volume, I'm guessing some kind of pouch cell.

Alan B said:
Any data on what went wrong? Clearly a scooter - make, model? Anything useful we can learn? Lithium batteries do burn, we should already know that.

The only info I have is that, it's a lipo battery. Yep, but I didn't expect the fire to be so sudden and fierce.

Good thing they were around to get the child out of there!

I'd keep in mind guys that lithium metals was an attempted rocket fuel additive if you read through the book ignition!. It's actually quite surprising what results they had. Seemed to have decent success so I'm wondering if spacex could actually do something with recycling their old Tesla battery packs with burning them up in their rocket engines. Ha. The ultimate recycler...falcon 9. Now that's green rocket fuel...

On another note. I typically charge my pack unattended. I've got mine hooked up to a smart plug so I can monitor the power draw of the charger and turn it on and off with my phone. I trust the mostly panasonic cells I'm using in my pack. I mean theyre the same cells as the old Tesla roadster....

Not to be a jinxer, but that sounds dangerous. Everything could be in flames before the smart plug showed anything, so unless it's in a flame proof enclosure with an automatic sand dump and alarm, away from occupied dwellings, it needs to be attended.
It sounds like you have a pack made with mixed cells, but relying on most of them being Panasonic?

Trust shouldn't be your first line of fire defense...

Trust led Dogman Dan to burning down his garage.... And other members (and plenty outside ES) had fires because they trusted their "known good" batteries.

Philaphlous said:
I'd keep in mind guys that lithium metals was an attempted rocket fuel additive if you read through the book ignition!.

Fortunately rechargeable lithium-ion batteries don't contain metallic lithium :wink:

No, but when you light up the vented hydrogen gas, it burns pretty good.

these things have REALLY cheap pouches in them and just proves you dont use pouches in mobile applications without massive reenforcement.

i still wonder why the guy has a camera in his house recording....

flippy said:
these things have REALLY cheap pouches in them and just proves you dont use pouches in mobile applications without massive reenforcement.

The CCTV, normal thing these days, at least in this part of the world. Its a part of the security system. :wink:

armandd said:
flippy said:

The CCTV, normal thing these days, at least in this part of the world. Its a part of the security system. :wink:

Yep, no. Still creepy.

Yeah anything that stops a cell from fretting, rubbing or otherwise suffering physical damage will help mitigate against 'avoidable' harm. But cheap BMS units which fail and allow a cell to be overcharged, or over-discharged are also a risk here. More than likely the BMS has allowed a single cell to become over charged.

Back