Acceptable time to apply current with MOT welder

melvin2345

10 mW
My apologize if I this has been answered before and I just suck at searching, but I've tried finding a consensus answer (or one at all), and I was wondering what would be considered a "safe" range of time to apply current with a DIY MOT welder? I understand that ideally you would adjust a timer to apply only for as long as needed to make a solid connection, and specifics of the welder output matter as well, but the timer I currently have only goes as low as 100ms. Is this still too long to apply current to the cells?

I haven't tried it with a MOT but my Riba welder works with about 5ms. 100ms seems pretty long. With a triac (solid state relay) control, the power can only be turned off when the AC passes through zero, which happens every 8.3ms. So having a minimum of less than this would be pointless.

If your MOT setup doesn't make lots of current compared to a giant car battery, then maybe 100ms might be OK. You can test with some thin steel sheet metal and nickel strip.

Simple answer: cant say.

With a MOT you cant activate on the zero point of the AC wave without more complex cirquit. The moment of activation dictates how much energy will be given if you keep the pulse time the same.

It is really hard to make consistnt welds with a MOT based welder

I think my MOT spot welder was welding nicely at about 30ms for .15mm Ni. For. 2mm I'd use a bit longer but after that more time didn't equate to greater welding power. It just heated more and blew holes if I really turned it up. You're much better off getting more amps in a short time (to a point) I would think that 100ms I'd too long but just try it and see. If it welds OK and the heat is minimal then youre wining. Do it on some old cells first!

Back