Charger or alternator for 22.2v NMC

SleazyWolf

1 µW
I just ordered 20x Samsung Bosch 6s 22.2 vDc 1.3 kWh batteries. I believe that they came out of a Fiat 500e. All are going to be wired in parallel and installed in a rv. I saw someone else on this forum charging by solar. Eventually it will be charged by solar. But right now I just need to charge them with a 24v alternator/regulator or shore power. Max voltage of each cell is 4.1v but I'd like to keep it at 4.0v, ending with a 24v max charge. I'd like to be able to charge from 110v shore power but have 220v if needed.

Currently thinking of a Lester Summit 2 - 24V/27A golf cart charger. But charging while driving would be nice.

Well, a "24v" lead type charger will likely actually go up to 28v or more. It will probably also attempt to maintain a charge current by increasing voltage above that, which isn't what you want to do to the NMC.

A 24v alternator will be similar--it's intended to run 24v of lead, which as noted above is significantly higher voltage than you want to charge those NMC to.

Since 6s x 4v is 24.0v, (24.4v max at 4.1v/cell), you don't want to do 2-4v of overcharge. You may be able to add a regulator to the other charger or alternator to knock off the extra voltage, but it doesnt' change the charge profile of the lead charger.

So, before you start looking at charging solutions:

What voltages do you have available in the RV? (sources of charge power)

What is this battery going to need to operate, at what voltage?

For shore power or other external AC-power, you can use Meanwell LED PSUs, the HLG-xxx-xxA versions, or the ELG series. They can be paralleled for higher charging currents, for a big pack (mostly you probably want to charge those at 0.5C at most, which means an Amp rating that is half or less of the Ah capacity of the pack).

You'd be after the HLG-xxx-24A version, where xxx is the wattage and 24 is the voltage (A just means adjustable). I use the 600w version for 54v+ stuff, so it's the HLG-600-54A. They'll run from 220vac or 115vac. You can set the exact charging voltage and the exact charging current via the adjustments under rubber caps (these are weather resistant sealed units).

amberwolf said:
Since 6s x 4v is 24.0v, (24.4v max at 4.1v/cell), you don't want to do 2-4v of overcharge. You may be able to add a regulator to the other charger or alternator to knock off the extra voltage, but it doesnt' change the charge profile of the lead charger.

So, before you start looking at charging solutions:

What voltages do you have available in the RV? (sources of charge power)

What is this battery going to need to operate, at what voltage?

Thank you for the reply

Back