Why not to try revive abused cells!

sketchism

100 W
My neighbour borrowed one of my 'in progress' bikes while i was away, before it was finished, rideable but not finished, no LVC set and nothing calibrated.

I got a msg saying the bike is dead and wont ride anymore, i asked what voltage the CA says and he said 40v... it was a 96v pack

The cells that recovered at all were sitting around 2v and i threw out the ones that didnt bounce back at all and tried to gently balance those higher packs up over a few days, and half of them held charge and seemed ok, they even did 3-5 cycles no problems... until this

This is definitely NOT the batteries fault, but a great lesson as to why not to try 'recover' undercharged and abused cells

https://hubsink.com/blogs/news/undercharged-batteries-explode-after-recharging

sketchism said:
My neighbour borrowed one of my 'in progress' bikes while i was away, before it was finished, rideable but not finished, no LVC set and nothing calibrated.

I got a msg saying the bike is dead and wont ride anymore, i asked what voltage the CA says and he said 40v... it was a 96v pack

The cells that recovered at all were sitting around 2v and i threw out the ones that didnt bounce back at all and tried to gently balance those higher packs up over a few days, and half of them held charge and seemed ok, they even did 3-5 cycles no problems... until this

This is definitely NOT the batteries fault, but a great lesson as to why not to try 'recover' undercharged and abused cells

https://hubsink.com/blogs/news/undercharged-batteries-explode-after-recharging

What type of cells are they?

haha yeah lucky i heard it making expanding noises, like a creaky chair

Yup. I won't touch anything below about 2V, and that's only if I know exactly how it got there and how long it's been there. Below 2.5V with unknown history, nope. And LVC on most of my stuff is 3.0V.

Why not to try revive abused cells!
An important mention - Lipo cells.
And they can explode even if you never abuse them.
Buy normal cylindrical Li-ion cells or LTO and enjoy the life ;)

Back