Good batteries for rebuilding laptop battery pack

Hi everyone!

I've checked the wiki and perused the site, but it seems I'm trying to do the opposite of what everyone else does! :lol:

I need to replace a battery for one of my laptops. Although I can get a new battery for it from China for about $20.00 USD, my past experiences with these batteries is that they use cheap cells that really do not have the Ah's of the originals. So, I figure, better to take the existing battery and rebuild it.

The cells inside the battery appear to be standard 18650 cells.

Can anyone recommend a good source for 18650 batteries that don't cost a small fortune?

Thanks!

zog

zogthegreat said:
I've checked the wiki and perused the site, but it seems I'm trying to do the opposite of what everyone else does! :lol:
Which wiki? Ours has been down for quite a while. :(

So, I figure, better to take the existing battery and rebuild it.
Do you have a spotwelder? If not, I recommend having the cells you buy sptwelded into the correct pattern for the battery you have, by the place you buy them from.

The cells inside the battery appear to be standard 18650 cells.
There are many kinds of 18650 cells. Some have high capacity, some have high current delivery ability. There's a lot of threads discussing various types, usually with 18650 in the title, but there's no one thread that compares them all.

Can anyone recommend a good source for 18650 batteries that don't cost a small fortune?
If you know which kind you want, you could check some of the various "where to buy" type of threads for 18650s, and the various build threads for 18650 packs, to see who has bought successfully from different places for the type of cell you need.

laptop packs have chips inside them that brick themselfs as soon as you try to replace the cells.

even if you can replace the cells without destroying the plastic it is doubful it will still be accepted by the laptop.

flippy said:
laptop packs have chips inside them that brick themselfs as soon as you try to replace the cells

Source?

thunderheart said:
flippy said:
laptop packs have chips inside them that brick themselfs as soon as you try to replace the cells
Source?
every battery that dell, HP, toshiba and so on sold for the past 15+ years?

as soon as a single cell goes below 2V or you disconnect a cell pair the chip bricks itself and refuses to work until you reprogram the eeprom to a default state.

flippy said:
thunderheart said:
flippy said:
Source?
every battery that dell, HP, toshiba and so on sold for the past 15+ years?

as soon as a single cell goes below 2V or you disconnect a cell pair the chip bricks itself and refuses to work until you reprogram the eeprom to a default state.

Nothing found on ASUS batteries...

Replaced the Dell vostro cells voltage still above 2v without disconnecting. Laptop shows not above 7% but still works full capacity charge/discharge 0-100%. NCR18650A cells. So yeah very sneaky chips they are.

Other option are directly powering laptop to AC side with DIY battery and own BMS or smth.

Back