Suggest uses for Toyota hybrid battery packs?

Dxta

1 µW
Hi guys. New here. I have being wondering. Have got lots of Toyota hybrid packs lying in the garage, and some home made chargers, and also bought some smart intelligent chargers as well.

Can anyone suggest a project that I could use those batteries for.?

I'm thinking, is it possible to make a backup power bank?

The batteries are a combination of Highlander, Camry, and Prius packs.

Thanks for the help.

Dxta

[Moderator edit: changed title from "Re: Homemade Battery Packs"]

unless you have solar there is no benefit to having a separate backup.
if you got enough of them you can convert a car to fully electric.

(or just give them to me :mrgreen: )

do hey have so many hybrids in nigeria? :roll:

If you want to build a portable suitcase power back-up, it might be worth experimenting with a 7S / 24V pack. You could add a small sine-wave inverter so you have 110V AC, and of course a small and cheap step-down DC/DC that outputs 12V so you can charge your laptop and cell phone. Two 12V solar panels in series can charge it in a disaster.

A true home backup system that can run a refrigerator during a power outage so the food will not spoil would typically use a fairly large 2500W-3000W inverter or larger, so that system might better be served by 14S (48V).

For a small power back-up that only needs to charge laptop, phone, and flashlight batteries, 12V would be fine, but 3.7V nominal cells are not ideal. The full charge is often rated at 4.2V per cell. If you use 3S then there is the danger of overcharging them, since car alternators actually put out about 14V. And if you use 4S it is safer, but you are not using about half of their capacity (although that is one of the ways to make them last a long time).

" Toyota hybrid packs..." - what packs ???
what year and first of all
NMH or Lithium???
Toyota finally switch to Lithium in 2016 ????
NMH are heavy , low terminal voltage bricks good if you want dead weight.
soon if not already seen only in museum.

Amusing. Can only suggest breaking up these packs to power a smaller (lighter weight) vehicle for shorter distance urban travels (think "bicycles" w/electric motors). Carry on... and G'Luck!

flippy said:
unless you have solar there is no benefit to having a separate backup.

Sure there is. No gasoline (or other) generator is needed for power outages. At least, not for ones short enough that the battery pack will last thru.

Can also be used to power loads that are greater than the incoming AC line can handle, again for periods short enough the battery pack has capacity for. And assuming one has an inverter powerful enough to do it, or that they are DC loads of a compatible voltage.

Probably other things I can't think of with four giant dogs panting in my face. ;)

AFAIK the problem with these kinds of cells is that they're not happy to be hooked up in parallel.
So you can't make a sweet 12/24v 3kwhr backup battery and expect it to not blow.

Different battery pack but the same idea...I have a 28.8 Nominal, 150 Ah LiFeP04 pack feeding a 1500 Watt, full sine wave, max 34 input Volts Samlex inverter to power my frige and many other items in the house during infrequent power outages. It so wonderful not to have to listen to a generator. My G.E. frige has a DC driven, soft start compressor so there's no extra starting current required. This setup gives me about 25 hours of actual compressor running time based on an 80% DOD and the compressor drawing about 130 Watts. I'd guess that would equate to between 2 and 3, 24-hr days worth of run time.

Back