Newbie battery options

Nickram

10 µW
Hi everyone. I'm hoping to order an ebike kit very soon and have a question regarding the battery choice to pair with a BBSHD kit.
I'm looking at a 52v Panasonic 11.5ah PF Shark Pack and the 52v Panasonic 13.5ah GA Shark Pack, both use the same Panasonic cells which I believe are supposed to be good quality. Is there any significance to the PF and GA notation or are they just model numbers?
Also is there anything in particular I should be looking out for or any general advice?
Thanks for your time, just don't want to make an expensive mistake with my first forays into the electric bike world

Nickram said:
Hi everyone. I'm hoping to order an ebike kit very soon and have a question regarding the battery choice to pair with a BBSHD kit.
I'm looking at a 52v Panasonic 11.5ah PF Shark Pack and the 52v Panasonic 13.5ah GA Shark Pack, both use the same Panasonic cells which I believe are supposed to be good quality. Is there any significance to the PF and GA notation or are they just model numbers?
Also is there anything in particular I should be looking out for or any general advice?
Thanks for your time, just don't want to make an expensive mistake with my first forays into the electric bike world

Both are 10a discharge cells, but at 3450mAh the GA cells have about 15% higher capacity then the PF cells.

If you post the item list you are considering purchasing, and who the sellers are, we might be able to help you with what is a good buy and what might not be a good buy.

:D

The GA will wear out a LOT faster then the PF.

Flippy is there a reason why they wear out faster? Lower quality perhaps
Thanks

Usually it's because of the temps achieved at a given current. More heat = aging cell. But it's not obvious with those 2 because they're both rated at 10A max discharge. I couldn't find a temp graph for the PF but here is a graph for the GA: https://www.orbtronic.com/content/Datasheet-specs-Sanyo-Panasonic-NCR18650GA-3500mah.pdf

If you find one for the PF you can compare the 2.

Nope, I was wrong. Apparently it's because the PF hold capacity better given a number of charge/discharge cycles.
See last graph on both spec sheet.

PF: http://nkon.nl/sk/k/ncr18650pf.pdf

GA have shit amount of cycles when using the full capacity range. At 4.05v its a different story but in general the PF have way longer lifespan.

Actually the GA is tested with 6A discharges as oppose to the PF, 4A discharges. So the GA loosing capacity quicker is to be expected... So I will shut up now and wait for a more experience user to answer this... I am now very interested to know the actual answer!

"GA have shit amount of cycles when using the full capacity range. At 4.05v its a different story "
I'm planning to only charge to 80% the majority of the time, so would this negate the shorter lifespan?

It would, but the PF would still win if you lower the voltage on those. But you might need a few more cells to compensate for the loss in capacity but then you gain more current capacity and increase the lifespan again in favour of the PF.
I never recommend anything above 2900mAh due to the massive drop in lifespan of high capacity cells.

PF or 29E is the way to go.

Back