Battery recommendations LG MJ1 ? GO or NOT GO

endonuclease

100 µW
Hi,
I'm about to get batteries for assembling a triangle lithium battery for my 3000 watt ebike (yes I use a micro-dot welder...).

I'm thinking of using LG MJ1 due to their 3500mAh capacity, also due to their 10A maximum continuous drain, and because I can get them fairly cheap. And i like that it is INR battery chemistry because it is fairly safe (at least when compared to the old ICR chemistry).

I only need 140 of these to make a 84volt 21AH battery (my largest triangle bags can take batteries with 200 cells, so there's room for the controller with all cables hidden).

With 6 parallells the battery can give out 60 amps, but the bike is running a 40A GRIN controller on a HS3540 motor, so I'll use a BMS at 45A limit. (and 9 parallells will give me 90amps with 200 cells at 84 volt for my 5000watt Crystalyte H+5580).

(I know there are better ones, but I like the energy-density)
So is there any reason I should NOT use these cells) ?
Are they living up to their datasheet ?

Thanks for replies

Kjetil W.K.

I've used then on quite a few batteries now and they seem to be hold up, but I haven't tested them extensively. I wouldn't run them at 10amps continuous as they would get quite hot(and die prem) but up to 2c should be fine. I've just ordered a bunch that are about to go into new batteries. There's a review on them here on ES which gives you a good idea of how they perform.

We found cheap ones at alibaba for 2.5 to 3.5 USD per cell. But when we chose only among factories/sellers that ONLY have Class-A Brand batteries in their product catalogue, we asked now to get 400 Pieces for 3USD per cell (down from 3.27USD).

Don't know what the reply will be. They are ALL Gold members and have trade assurance. Gold membership is expensive at alibaba.

May I ask where you get them from and what you pay ?

What U think of alibaba ?

cheers,

Kjetil

I haven't bought through alibaba but I use aliexpress a lot. I wouldn't buy batteries off ali-anything without a recommendation. just had my first crappy expensive purchase off aliexpress so im currently a bit cautious. I have used EVVATECH in the past and they were good but they seem to be out of action at the moment.
I just received a shipment of MJ1 (200pc) through Queenbattery after Thunderheart here on ES recommended them. pretty quick, all cells within 0.002v 2.85usd a piece plus shipping. seem legit, check them out

Not sure if your tax = our tax (aus), but I think it did but it didn't include PayPal fees and shipping. Can't remember what was on the invoice. All up (with expensive shipping to aus) it was just under $6/cell aud... Which is about $4.10usd.

Back