Reliable source for non fake cells?

bart_dood

100 W
Hey folks, I took a long break from here after building my electric bike (which is kinda kaput for now) but back and bought myself an electric skateboard to fix which requires new cells (dead battery). Really looking forward to taking it out for some fun.

It takes 18650 cells and I plan on sourcing the cells myself and replacing the ones in there, it currently has 10s2p config which I will keep it's 36 volts and 4.4ah stock.

So it seems the stock cells are 2.2ah 18650's. I've been researching my options for cells. However I want to make sure I get genuine cells and not fakes.

Are there some good value USA sources for 18650 cells that folks here know don't ship fakes? or is it less common to find fake cells and I shouldn't worry? should I completely rule out ebay? there are some good deals on there with what seems to be good feedback on the sellers.

Thanks

I find it interesting that there's no direct market for cell manufacturers... We're basically buying cells that have been passed through 2-4 hands by the time we get to bid/buy them... Does anyone know why cell manufacturers do this? Just easier to cell to large retailers in consistent quantities? Has anyone tried to reach out directly to panasonic/lg/samsung/sanyo/Sony?

Philaphlous said:
I find it interesting that there's no direct market for cell manufacturers... We're basically buying cells that have been passed through 2-4 hands by the time we get to bid/buy them... Does anyone know why cell manufacturers do this? Just easier to cell to large retailers in consistent quantities? Has anyone tried to reach out directly to panasonic/lg/samsung/sanyo/Sony?

Well its like that for almost anything...

Back