EM3EV battery doesn't discharge?

MrTadpole

100 µW
Hey all!

New here and I just got a 36v 19.95ah battery from em3ev.

So I initially went to charge the pack and let it sit for 2 hours before I planned to use it. Before charging I noticed all 3 green LEDs and the one red one were on simultaneously. I thought it was off because none of the information for the battery showed an LED code like that.

Checked the voltage (41.7v if I remember) once it was charged.

When I plug it in, the bike doesn't run. Tested the bike with SLA batts, which worked fine.

Wondering if it could be a bms issue. Any suggestions for what i can do to pin point the specific issue? Anyone have a similar issue? It has a smart bms, but I don't currently have a phone that I can connect it with. Alao, a little reluctant to cracl the pack open but I will if there is nothing else I can safely do first.

Did a boat load of research before buying and had a plan for how I was going to break the pack in. Sorta sad/mad that I can't discharge and do a proper break in.

Contacted the company, but am curious if anyone has some experience or thoughts in the meantime. :)

If your picking up that voltage, I doubt its the battery. What setup are you running on your bike?

I know it seems silly, but is there any chance you have a 48v bike? I only ask because a lot of 48v controllers tend to cut out power at or around 42v. (your lithium battery is full at 41.7v and 3 SLA's in series would sit at 43.2v full).

How are you metering the EM3 battery? Through what connector?

:D

I'm just metering it from the discharge points (with the pack disconnected from the base/holder thingy). So just from the prongs that would connect to the base.

The motor I am running is a gen 1 magic pie. I know the controller is designed for 24, 36, and 48v inputs. As far a a the battery voltage goes, I know I have run the sla's well enough above and below that voltage limit of 42v.

MrTadpole said:
I'm just metering it from the discharge points (with the pack disconnected from the base/holder thingy). So just from the prongs that would connect to the base.

The motor I am running is a gen 1 magic pie. I know the controller is designed for 24, 36, and 48v inputs. As far a a the battery voltage goes, I know I have run the sla's well enough above and below that voltage limit of 42v.

Have you tested it on the base. I'm assuming that the battery plugs in through those prongs on the base and that a discharge wire It comes out of the base. Meter that wire.

Also pictures would help.

Another test you can do is measure the pack voltage while placing some kind of load on it. The load could be a 120v light bulb or if you can measure while the battery is docked and the controller is turned on, it would give the same result. If the BMS is tripped, the pack voltage will drop to zero with any kind of load.

Having the phone app would be the best as this should tell you everything.

fechter said:
Having the phone app would be the best as this should tell you everything.
What app is that? Can you post a link?

@MrTadpole, a load test is as stated will help you determine if it is battery electronics that are fatally.

My first guess is that something in your bike wiring isn't right.

Get yourself a cup of your favorite beverage, relax and slowly trace all your connections, buttons, like throttle buttons etc, key switches if applicable, bike components like e-breaks switches and bike computers are all properly set and working.

:D

e-beach said:

The app that goes with their Bluetooth smart BMS. I looked on their website but I could not find it. I could swear I saw the BMS on their website before, but not now.

So one issue I have identified is that the positive wire in the base snapped from the point that connects to the battery. I have succeeded in fixing this for now, but I may have to get a new pin later on because the way it snapped made it almost too short to get a proper joint made.

Because of this I haven't done a load test. I had to leave my bike before actually testing of it will run, but it did turn on! :D :D :D

Will update tomorrow on if it works.

I would show pictures of everything I've described, but I am still a new. I'm reading up on how to put pictures up now.

Let em3ev know about what happened and if somethng comes up later with the cradle or connections they can help. As they are on the level.

I let em3ev know. And I now have the battery working on the bike. Only off thing is the leds on the side just appear not to change with charge level at all. The app works flawlessly though so I guess it isn't a huge deal right now.

fechter said:
e-beach said:

The app that goes with their Bluetooth smart BMS. I looked on their website but I could not find it. I could swear I saw the BMS on their website before, but not now.

Paul showed me that BMS at interbike.. it was super cool. That and the welding on the cells.

Should help with those 'why is my BMS doing X' threads we've been seeing for the past... forever :lol:

Once you contacted Em3ev what was the issue, how did you get it resolved? I have the same issue right now all 3 green LEDs and the 1 red and no power from the battery. :(

Those are 15 cent “indicators.” Not much better than a turn signal. A turn signal indicates what direction you might go. Please tell us more. Actual voltage from the battery leads?

Back