52v battery charged with 42v charger

Hornet742

100 µW
I picked up a second electric trike which has a

14s4p Hailong Lithium Battery 52V 14ah Hl Downtube Mounted Battery Pack 52V Shark Pack with Un38.3 Certification

When I looked at the charger that was used with it I found out it was a 42v 2.5 amp charger. Will using this have damaged the battery pack in any way?

I sure hope not. I was looking for a new charger online, but I have run into a problem with the charger connector. The battery uses a DC2.1 charging port and I was looking for a complete charger without me having to add the port or modify another charger. I do have another charger I could use if I added the port, but every modification adds a chance for some kind of failure. well, I will keep looking.

Hornet742 said:
I picked up a second electric trike which has a

14s4p Hailong Lithium Battery 52V 14ah Hl Downtube Mounted Battery Pack 52V Shark Pack with Un38.3 Certification

When I looked at the charger that was used with it I found out it was a 42v 2.5 amp charger. Will using this have damaged the battery pack in any way?
Be wary of how they spec chargers. A 36V battery charges at 42V; thus the charger might be labeled as a "36V battery" charger or a "42V" charger.

In your case, a 14S battery will charge at about 58.8 volts, and have a nominal voltage of about 50 volts. Measure the charger's open circuit output with a meter to see if you are getting to 58.8 volts.

The unknown. So get out your multi meter and check voltage with the meter. Charger and battery. Check polarity of new charger before you blindly plug it in and the maybe mismatch one. Always check this is made in a foreign country that can use their own standards color of wire Etc. Don't trust verify.

The older I get the more I check things out before use. I don't trust others people's work like I used to. Sometimes I wish I didn't trust my own :p I knew about the 58.8 volt output from the charger, but hadn't thought of of the reverse polarity. Thinking of the amount of amps these batteries are capable of putting out I can see where that could be rather catastrophic. Kinda like the time I had the bright idea to make sure the contacts were closing by watching a 330v contacter with the cover off. It left my face covered in soot except for where my glasses were and blind for a few minutes...but I knew it worked for sure...

Sometimes you can just unsrew the top 4 screws to have a peep. Look at the caps maybe 63v ? Look at out put for a trimpot with a meter and a screwdriver made from chop stick. Is it genital I too fast you could pop it Let the Smoke out.

I decided just to add a set of Anderson Power poles in 15 amps to the charger output line from my 3 switch charger I got from Em3ev about 4 years ago. Just have to set it to 58.8 by the switch and I got it whipped. Still have no idea if being charged at 42v instead of 58v will have damaged the battery. When the dealer who sold the EZ3 trike with batt and charger was contacted he stated that "all those chargers are the same or mismarked". He just sold the guy I got the Trike from another trike (upright) at 37 volts. So now the guy has a 52v mid drive and a 37v mid drive trike and they both have the same 42v charger. I don't think I would buy anything more from that Portland Oregon dealer.

999zip999 said:
Sometimes you can just unsrew the top 4 screws to have a peep. Look at the caps maybe 63v ? Look at out put for a trimpot with a meter and a screwdriver made from chop stick. Is it genital I too fast you could pop it Let the Smoke out.

I bought a repair kit for my Iphone which has a bunch of different sized plastic screwdrivers and pry bars in it. Works better than wood :)

Well if the battery was charged with a 42V output charger, it will measure 42V regardless of it's actual nominal voltage.

42V on a 52V battery is basically dead, 3.0V per cell. It's hard to imagine anyone used it like that. I'd want to be sure that it's not a mislabelled battery before proceeding to charge it to 58.8V, someone might have just reused an old case.

Thanks for the info. I am supposed to receive the 52v charger today and I will check the battery voltage before I charge it. I am hoping the dealer just adjusted the voltage to 52v on the 42v charger. thanks for the response.

Back