Consequences when I don't declare batteries in shipment

elmo78

1 mW
Hello

Anybody working in a freight company?

We all know the rules when shipping batteries. Forbidden on passenger planes, a little bit allowed on cargo planes and a bit allowed on ships.

I am shipping my e-bike from Europe to the USA and the battery pack is permanently attached to it.

If I want to ship it as dangerous goods I need to fill in some paperwork, I need to put some stickers and done. But the cost doubles. Sending a crate without stickers is $1000, sending a crate with stickers $2000.

Is it risky if I don't declare having batteries? Do they open/xray every crate which arrives at the US port? If I get caught is there a fine to pay? Maybe it's lower than the shipping rate? Or do customs officer seize all my goods in the crate (not only the e-bike) and destroy it?

Paying $1000 for a pair of stickers is a lot but maybe better than other consequences...

What is the Ebike ?..what is its value ?
No battery is "permanently" attached to an Ebike...its just a matter of difficulty to remove it.
Even the A2B internal frame batteries, could be removed with care and patience.
Take the battery off,..sell it if you can,...and buy a new one when your battery-less bike arrrives in the new country.
That has to be cheaper and less risk than gambling with false declarations or paying for hazardous goods. + you get a nice new fresh pack of the latest cells !
Or.... Sell the ebike complete , and buy another in the USA......still probably cheaper than Hazmat freight. :wink: :eek:

How about $63K for four batteries?
https://www.lion.com/lion-news/july-2015/lithium-battery-shipper-fined-$63k-for-hmr-violati

Amazon.uk got caught by postal office and dinged for $84K.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/amazon-fined-shipping-dangerous-goods-by-air-caa/

Do it legal.It's about safety.

Yeah, I wouldn't ship it as a "book" and hope it doesn't " go off". You could buy a house for the cost of the fine. Although...I hear they have a convenient payment plan...

Back