battery options for motorcycle 40kw 400a 24s?

xiteamxi

100 mW
looking for some options/opinions on a battery for use in a future motorcycle project. peak power should be around 40kw assuming 24s(100v) 400a. obviously weight/space is somewhat critical, don't have a capacity in mind but aiming for 5kwh roughly (50mile range?). have been looking at various ev battery's but hk lipo is another option.

motor-brammo empulse
controller-sevcon size 6

Turnigy graphene would do that with a 5kwh pack. It would be like $3k for the 8ah cells.

thanks for the input that's currently plan b, and it can be done a bit cheaper with some of there other battery's. I'd like to know if any other ev car battery's will work cheaper. so far the ford e max cells look like they might work. most of the others seem to large to have 24s in a bike or low c rating.

You should calculate current draw from the nominal battery voltage not from charging voltage. So for 24s it is: 24*3.6-3.7V= 87V. Then you should know the average or continuous power/curent draw. It is very important parameter for choosing proper cells. If your average will be 5kW (1C) from 5kWh pack and 40kW (8C) will be used only for short acceleration peaks you can choose from 18650 high power cells and expect good life time. But if you calculate with more than 2C average you should expect significantly lower battery life or you should look for another type of cell like above mentioned Turnigy Graphene.

I have the same pack configuration that flat tire mentioned.

24 x Turnigy Graphene 8AH 6S

24S (100.8v fully charged) x 6P (48AH) gives 4.83kwh, combined weight is around 30KG in total.

I bought them on offer for £60 ($80) so was pretty good at £300 per kwh and those packs can put out some serious punch on demand.

Back