How a Lunacycle / Hailong battery fares after 2 years..

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Edit: removed the suspicion that UPP could have been the original supplier from this post.

I'm working on a bike from a customer who has had his second BBS02 part fail on him and he wanted me to look over the whole build.

Here's part of the carnage. It's a hailong style battery pack sold by Lunacycle in 2016. AKA 'shark pack'.

IMG_20181014_143957.jpg

Okay, we've got multiple design issues here..

1) the only thing protecting the battery cells on the top and bottom from the hard plastic case is a layer of kapton tape.

2) The battery cell assembly can shift side to side ~5mm and bash up against the plastic screw area seen in picture 1. Eventually this could damage on the nickel tabs and make the tabs separate from the cell, potentially puncturing the cell in the process ( depending on how it was welded )

3) If you install this battery pack vertically or diagonally on your bike, the whole 6-8lb. cell assembly rests on a single piece of duct tape. As you can see in picture 2, this is less than adequate. I imagine this could eventually deform that cell and short it.

Lunacycle and a bunch of various alibaba vendors, American vendors, etc sold these for a long time. I really wonder how many battery fires are due to shitty designs like this.

If you have one of these, i'd put it in a frame bag since the mounting points are known to be janky as well. And add high heat rated insulation on the weak points.

Bit of a worry!
This is why I use cell holders..and cell level fuses

Protecting anything delicate from vibration or impacts means holding it firmly but gently. I.e. stiff but compliant foam to wedge it into a case so it can't rattle around.

Hi,I am a salesperson from UPP.
Our hailong battery inside is not like that.

How to post a picture?

sophia.unitpackpower said:

How to post a picture?

Look below submit button when making a post, click attachments and then add file.

Dang that battery is dirty... Im gonna switch to cell holders/spacers soon with a new battery...

This is an older battery. I understand that the design has changed.

neptronix said:

This is an older battery. I understand that the design has changed.

As I know, our company does not have cooperation with lunacycle.
I believe lunacyle is a great supplier trusted by many consumers.
Many manufactures use cell holder on hailong battery, but if the capacity go up to like 52V 17.5ah, they can not use cell holder, because limited space.
Before in my company, we also have many after sale problems on 52V 17.5ah hailong.

Fortunately, from December, we update a new hailong case, we can use cell holder on 52V 17.5ah.
I believe Lunacycle will also find a way to solve this problem.

Provide after sale service locally? Where? I know of a UPP customer battery in Germany for repair. Two new batteries failed and were sent for repair. I saw photos on facebook of a repair done in Germany and it was very bad. One year warranty is useless if the warranty is never honored. I have watched a well known seller eat every bad battery. He paid for new battery, with little support beyond a few BMS to stock, to be sent to customer to honor warranty. UPP has done nothing. Now no answers to email. Many of us were happy for several years, but SOMETHING has changed.

Asking customer to repair battery is a bad policy, but UPP is insulated. You will not be liable for damage or accidents. Some small momo and pop shop will eat it.

Based on my limited experience, i've been in a dozen UPP batteries, the pictured build is unlike any. I got from upp. Still there are many reports of inadequate nickel, and actually are nickel COATED steel. NOT PURE NICKEL.

999zip999 said:
Tomjasz got any picks ?
Full circle here, back to Mr. Reliability, EM3ev. Paul's packs have a much lower failure rate. Having Bluetooth to gauge battery should be a very helpful troubleshooting tool.

tomjasz said:
Provide after sale service locally? Where? I know of a UPP customer battery in Germany for repair. Two new batteries failed and were sent for repair. I saw photos on facebook of a repair done in Germany and it was very bad. One year warranty is useless if the warranty is never honored. I have watched a well known seller eat every bad battery. He paid for new battery, with little support beyond a few BMS to stock, to be sent to customer to honor warranty. UPP has done nothing. Now no answers to email. Many of us were happy for several years, but SOMETHING has changed.

Asking customer to repair battery is a bad policy, but UPP is insulated. You will not be liable for damage or accidents. Some small momo and pop shop will eat it.

Based on my limited experience, i've been in a dozen UPP batteries, the pictured build is unlike any. I got from upp. Still there are many reports of inadequate nickel, and actually are nickel COATED steel. NOT PURE NICKEL.

Hi, tomjasz,
I took those pictures in our factory, it is hailong type, maybe what you got are not hailong?

We have Germany and USA after sale center,sometimes if customer agree, we will ask customer to do some brief test to help us find where the problem is.
Yes, we might not be good enough, but we are always trying to be better. There is no problem that cannot be resolved through negotiation.

Sophia hang in there E.S. can be a rough place . Tech talk is always weclome. Just don't cross the bridge into sales in this section.

I have edited UPP out of the name and first post since many claim that UPP is not the supplier.

No matter Neptronix. She"s hear maybe we can fix the caddle problen and connecton problems. An my new 20s 20ah 30q pack won't fix that box. Still looking ?

999zip999 said:
Sophia hang in there E.S. can be a rough place . Tech talk is always weclome. Just don't cross the bridge into sales in this section.

Thanks, there is a lot of tech info, a sales person should learn more tech knowledge and it is good to get more feedback about UPP, that is how we get better.

neptronix said:
I have edited UPP out of the name and first post since many claim that UPP is not the supplier.

Hi, neptronix, the battery picture I took from our workshop, next door to our office.
Some claim that upp is not the supplier, probably bought battery not direct from UPP, since we provide products to many other retailer.
Of course you can choose other better supplier than us, that is your rights.

We need to learn the limits of batteries, motors and bms plus controllers as a group we melt things. Ask me. Melt. Learn melt and learn. Ok.
Plus time Plus cycles.

Thanks for your advice dear, if get customer here, it is my luck, if no customer here, at least I can learn those thing, when other customer meet those problem. I can use what I learn from ES.

One thing a battery manufacturer can find here with enough searching is how packs fail. Once you know how they fail, you can improve the design to avoid the failures. Some failures result in nasty fires, so we are very interested in design features that minimize the risk of fire. It's also bad if your expensive battery fails prematurely and you need to replace it.

Why does UPP choose to use nickel coated rather than pure nickel strips?

Back