Basic BMS question-no separate charge/load terminals?

mjp8081

100 W
I've been asking around, havent got a clear answer to this:

I want to build a 12.8v 100aH 100 amp peak battery bank for a solar system/alternator on an RV. I have some existing Chinese LiFePo4 batteries (banks,4S60P 18650 cells ) with BMS on board that function like Lead Acid in that they charge and discharge/load through same connection/+/- terminals on the BMS, one pos and one neg, like auto battery, there is no separate connection for load and charging.

It seems almost all BMSs have 4 separate terminals, load+, load-, charge +, charge -. Can I just combine/connect the the load and charge ports into one Pos and one neg on typical BMS? OR do I need to control the current flow with blocking diodes?

The BMSs in the Chinese batteries I have dont seem to have any special circuitry, aside from just having 2 main +/- terminals and balancing leads.

Thank you very much, this has been bugging me for a while.

Hey there

As far as my knowledge takes me, there should be no problem hooking positive and negative parallel. But do some more research, this forum is loaded with great information.

Regards

Killer-B

BMS will loose its function if charge/load paralelled. The diodes would work. The point is charge port can only block charging and load port can only block discharging. BMS with common charge/discharge port would be best solution.

Back