Help. Charger cord burn with Pics, looking to try to rewire if possible

joby1

10 mW
Hi, my charger plugvburnt up some, took it apart and everything else looks in good shape except for cord recepticle/fuse housing. My question is how would i wire this if i wanted to try to attach another plug to see if it works i am fair with electrical stuff but this has me stymied. I assume the 2 reds are + and 2 yellows are -...just not sure how it connects to plug and fuse. Any advise would be helpful to wire and use new fuseholder. In the pics the fuse holder is under plug (so on bottom,) the yellows are on top in pic and connect to center plug on 3way computer style plug, the reds are lower.. one connects to one side of fuse the other to right side of plug.. Please help. Any sources on plug recepticle with fuse holders?

Attachments

• IMG_20181115_182626.jpg
    IMG_20181115_182626.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 414
N/M found exactly same socket with fuse on eBay 😃but why did it fry is the question... Battery seems fine...

It got colder here in Chicago recently, maybe condensation from keeping charger in garage?

Since the melting/burning is at the two ends of the fuse holder, the most likely thing is that the fuse doesn't fit it very well, so it's high resistance at the contacts, or even arcing, and this generated heat that melted the plastic, which could make the fit worse and the heat greater, until it simply fails to make any connection at all.

Poor or no solder connection, or poor crimps, on the internal connections of wires inside teh charger to the fuse / socket would be another similar event cascade.

If the fuse itself wasn't blown, that's more likely than the fuse getting hot enough to melt the plastic just from it's own internal heat. If the fuse was blown, then it could've failed from the fuse being hot from being close to it's limit a long time, and that could indicate a problem with teh charger. (bad capacitors on the input side would be one possible thing causing greater and greater heat over time).

Thank you so much... new socket is coming, but got spare charger as well, we'll see what happens with new socket/fuse

When you open it up, take a good look at the capacitors on the input (AC) side. If they look swollen or unusual compared to other caps in there (or in your spare), then you should replace those before powering up.

Back