Pneumatic spot welder sticks to cells

rg12

100 kW
Got this new pneumatic spot welder that works awesome, only problem is that when welding 0.15 pure nickel the electrodes stick pretty hard.
If I turn down the power it doesn't stick that bad (or not at all) but the weld is not as strong.
I also tried going down from double pulse to single but it just weakens the weld alot.
Any tips?

Higher current and shorter pulse if possible. More pressure on the electrodes might help too.

I watched a guy using something like that before and after each weld, he would twist the pack a little to break the electrodes free.

Yes the nickel has a gap.

I don't have pulse length on my machine.

I thought maybe less pressure on the electrodes? it's pretty strong now...

About all you can do is play with the settings and do some tests. Tip geometry and material will also make a difference.
I know with my Riba welder the tips would stick pretty bad when I was using a source that was too weak. When I got a higher current source battery, the weld were much better and the tips hardly stick at all.

What kind of welder do you have?

fechter said:
About all you can do is play with the settings and do some tests. Tip geometry and material will also make a difference.
I know with my Riba welder the tips would stick pretty bad when I was using a source that was too weak. When I got a higher current source battery, the weld were much better and the tips hardly stick at all.

What kind of welder do you have?

This one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...492.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dw9BYU2

Maybe making the tips more pointy with less pressure will have the same weld strength only on a smaller weld spot and with less contact of the electrode (and less pressure since the tip touches less surface) the electrodes (hopefully) won't stick.

Tips need to be clean, and you might try to wait a few seconds for the weld to cool before releasing the pressure of the electrodes.

Need to apply sufficient pressure - to avoid sparking and hot welds from arcing.And correct power settings will also help.

It looks like the welder can do dual pulse. Maybe they don't provide good instructions on how to program it.
Twisting the pack slightly after the weld to unstick the tips may be needed no matter what.

fechter said:
It looks like the welder can do dual pulse. Maybe they don't provide good instructions on how to program it.
Twisting the pack slightly after the weld to unstick the tips may be needed no matter what.

It has up to 5 pulses and I use 2 as one wasn't enough.
I don't think twisting the pack is the right way to go, I work with very big packs and besides it doesn't seem right.

I seen tips that where sharpen and then slightly take the point off the tip and round it. My friend has a special tip conditioner for his Tig welding tips made of tungsten 600usd.

My electrodes are just round copper rods. When the tip gets dull, I take it out and put it in my electric drill and use a file against it when the drill is running. Only takes a few seconds to get a nice conical tip.

Yes but I think a little off the top helps. Just hold tip and knock off the tip of the point.. A little surface area for transfer of energy. I mean your melt in the pit of the copper and copper is a dirty metal

Right. I slightly rounded the tip. After enough welds, the tip gets too wide and it needs to be dressed.

fechter said:
Right. I slightly rounded the tip. After enough welds, the tip gets too wide and it needs to be dressed.

You wanna tell me that you file it to super pointy an then punch the tip a bit?
Because mine come stock with like 0.5mm surface area.
I sometimes see packs that were built with spot welds that has very very big round spots like the electrode tips are super wide

My electrodes are made from copper rods about 5mm in diameter. At the tip I round them slightly so the contact spot is around 1mm. Not super pointy.

fechter said:
My electrodes are made from copper rods about 5mm in diameter. At the tip I round them slightly so the contact spot is around 1mm. Not super pointy.

5mm?? what kind of machine head accepts that diameter?
Is it pneumatic?
Do they stick?
How many pulses?

Back