New Lipo out of balance

Marv1337n

1 W
So I just received a new Lipo and after checking it with my charger I'm a bit worried.
One cell is out of balance (other 5 cells are at 3.77 - 3.76) but that one cell is at 3.59. Is that Lipo now trash? It's brand new.

About 10-20% of what hobbyking and many other lipo sellers ship out the door have 1 or more cells that are underperformers..

I would run the battery pack through a full charge and discharge cycle on a balancing charger that can create graphs before determining whether it's bad or not though.

See this post that's stickied to the top of this section.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52240

neptronix said:
About 10-20% of what hobbyking and many other lipo sellers ship out the door have 1 or more cells that are underperformers..

I would run the battery pack through a full charge and discharge cycle on a balancing charger that can create graphs before determining whether it's bad or not though.

See this post that's stickied to the top of this section.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52240

The pack has a small dent on the cell which is affected, maybe that is the reason?
qHxgBVk.jpg

I don't have a spare XT90 plug to charge it currently, gotta wait for them to arrive. What are the chances I can't get it back to balance? Any experience?

Chances are 50/50. Give it a try with a balance charger. Produce a discharge graph after a full balanced charge, and if that graph shows a significant discrepancy, then you have proof of a problem you can use for a warranty claim.

neptronix said:
Chances are 50/50. Give it a try with a balance charger. Produce a discharge graph after a full balanced charge, and if that graph shows a significant discrepancy, then you have proof of a problem you can use for a warranty claim.

Alright, will do that.
I've already submitted a RMA claim to hobbyking, but I guess more proofs are always better.

Edit: just got an answer from hobbyking:
Lipo batteries have a storage chemical in the cells when they are new. This chemical dissipates after the battery is used for 5 to 10 cycles of normal use. This is called the "break in period". This chemical can cause the battery to not balance well in the beginning. Therefore, I would respectfully ask you to cycle (actually use the battery then balance charge it , do not just discharge on the charger and then charge) the battery between 5-10 times and see what the individual cell voltage readings are then.
And they closed the RMA claim. Nice.

Ya, right.. come back with proof.

I think they're BSing about the "break in". I've bought batches of 12-15 lipos at once and graphed a full discharge cycle on each one, the second they were taken out of the box.
Ones that came with a difference in voltage were usually bad, but not always ( could have been that they used a funky balance charger ). Nothing ever changed about the characteristics of the pack after the first cycle to the next.

But i haven't bought any lipos since 2014 because the industry as a whole seems to follow the 'let the customer do the quality control' mentality, and i got real tired of receiving the occasional ticking time bomb that came puffed from the factory.

neptronix said:
Ya, right.. come back with proof.

I think they're BSing about the "break in". I've bought batches of 12-15 lipos at once and graphed a full discharge cycle on each one, the second they were taken out of the box.
Ones that came with a difference in voltage were usually bad, but not always ( could have been that they used a funky balance charger ). Nothing ever changed about the characteristics of the pack after the first cycle to the next.

But i haven't bought any lipos since 2014 because the industry as a whole seems to follow the 'let the customer do the quality control' mentality, and i got real tired of receiving the occasional ticking time bomb that came puffed from the factory.

I've just received the XT90 plugs and tried to balance charge the pack to storage voltage because I'm still waiting for my other 2 Lipos to arrive. Seems like they balanced just fine. All cells are at 3.80 - 3.81, resistance is at 0.01 for all cells. I can't produce a discharge graph with my charger (IMax b6) so what do you think? Fine or nah?

A battery successfully balancing won't tell you much, unless you graph the balancing process from 0%.

What you want is an idea of how the battery works from full charge to full discharge. Because that emulates what will happen on the bike.

neptronix said:
A battery successfully balancing won't tell you much, unless you graph the balancing process from 0%.

What you want is an idea of how the battery works from full charge to full discharge. Because that emulates what will happen on the bike.

I can't graph the cells individual, only get total voltage on the ChargeMaster software. What should I look for when charging it to the full 4.2V/cell and then discharging it? Anything I can do?

neptronix said:
See the thread i posted above!

I've already read that but the thing is that I can't produce such a graph.
All I can see is total voltage of the pack, so can I judge it by that somehow?

You're going to need a charger that can produce a graph.
Or you're going to have to use a cellog 8S or something like it paired to logview while discharging or charging the battery to create a graph like this. ( cellog 8s is accurate enough )

The imax is not exactly a precision balancing device. I can't recommend these cheap chargers. They do not come properly calibrated like iChargers and other higher quality devices. The last thing you want when running the most dangerous battery chemistry on the market *without a BMS* is an imperfect balance.

neptronix said:
You're going to need a charger that can produce a graph.
Or you're going to have to use a cellog 8S or something like it paired to logview while discharging or charging the battery to create a graph like this. ( cellog 8s is accurate enough )

The imax is not exactly a precision balancing device. I can't recommend these cheap chargers. They do not come properly calibrated like iChargers and other higher quality devices. The last thing you want when running the most dangerous battery chemistry on the market *without a BMS* is an imperfect balance.

Okay I just found out that my charger is capable of producing a log. All I need is a TTL to USB adapter, I've ordered one and will report back with the discharge graph when the adapter arrives. Thanks for your help so far! :thumb:

Back