Series and parallel batteries......?

Branmoto

1 µW
Might be a common sense question, but I feel like I'm thinking about it too hard.

My goal: 36v 60ah battery.

Can I hookup 3 12v 20ah batteries in series and parallel?

12v 20ah + 12v 20ah + 12v 20ah = 36v 60ah, right?

Thanks!

You'll need 9 12V 20Ah batteries connected in parallel and series to get 36V 60Ah.

Make 3 paralleled groups to get 3 12V 60Ah batteries and then connect those 3 in series.

Or make 3 series groups to get 36V 20Ah each and then connect those 3 in parallel to get 60AH.

Wow, thanks for the reply....I think that might be too many batteries.

I might just stick with 3 12v 20ah batteries and hook them up for 36v 20ah. Limited on space is why.

Yeah, just the weight of 36v 20 ah of lead is about the max for bikes to carry. Try to rig one on each side of a rack, pannier style, so you only have one up high on the bike, on top. Or maybe one in the triangle of the bike.

If you can afford it, 36v 20 ah of lithium is so light and small, it carries easily on rear racks, or in the triangle of many bikes.

Figure on about double the range from lithium, because lead has so much peukerts effect. If you use lead, stop when its only half empty, or it will die in a few months. You will need new lead every spring even if you are very careful.

Still, lead can work ok if you only need about 10 miles of range. Same size lithium lasts 2-3 years easy, and can go 20 -30 miles easy.

Back