Bluetooth DC energy monitor

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
flippy   100 kW

100 kW

Re: Bluetooth DC energy monitor

Post by flippy » May 22 2019 8:10am

flangefrog wrote:
May 22 2019 5:01am
flippy wrote:
May 22 2019 4:56am
That behaviout is standard for lipo chargers. If it does not do that something is wrong with it.
Some of them cut off when the current is below a threshold (e.g. 1/10 - 1/20 of the charging current) and may even start again when the voltage goes below a certain threshold.
yeah, you dont want those. that does not give the abillity for the bms to do its balancing. especially smart bms that need to have a contstant current flow otherwise they stop balancing when the charger shuts off.
Lithium beats liquid dinosaurs.

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » May 22 2019 8:33am

flippy wrote:
May 22 2019 8:10am
yeah, you dont want those. that does not give the abillity for the bms to do its balancing. especially smart bms that need to have a contstant current flow otherwise they stop balancing when the charger shuts off.
I haven't looked closely at how most BMSs work but I would have assumed that they would simply switch off the input fet and balance the cells if the voltage is too high. Once the input is turned back on, due to the voltage having dropped to 0V and back up the charger would re-activate if needed. I don't see why a BMS would require a constant current flow to balance (except if it had active balancing) as it would switch off the current flow itself while balancing.

flippy   100 kW

100 kW

Post by flippy » May 22 2019 9:04am

flangefrog wrote:
May 22 2019 8:33am
I haven't looked closely at how most BMSs work but I would have assumed that they would simply switch off the input fet and balance the cells if the voltage is too high. Once the input is turned back on, due to the voltage having dropped to 0V and back up the charger would re-activate if needed. I don't see why a BMS would require a constant current flow to balance (except if it had active balancing) as it would switch off the current flow itself while balancing.
dumb bms work that way yes, but then you are already beyond the 4.2V limit, usually 4.25V or higher.
a smart bms start balancing at preset voltages like 4V and they need time to do their job. they only balance when they see incoming power. so a power supply (charger is the wrong word technically) that simply hovers at the set voltage (that can be lower then 4.2V!) means the bms gets all the time it needs to do its job. this is partially why lots of batteries with a decent bms have a 50~250mA load on the supply during the balancing. it simply burns off the exess power that comes into the high cells and continures to trickle charge the remaining ones until they are all equal.

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » May 22 2019 9:17am

flippy wrote:
May 22 2019 9:04am
dumb bms work that way yes, but then you are already beyond the 4.2V limit, usually 4.25V or higher.
a smart bms start balancing at preset voltages like 4V and they need time to do their job. they only balance when they see incoming power. so a power supply (charger is the wrong word technically) that simply hovers at the set voltage (that can be lower then 4.2V!) means the bms gets all the time it needs to do its job. this is partially why lots of batteries with a decent bms have a 50~250mA load on the supply during the balancing. it simply burns off the exess power that comes into the high cells and continures to trickle charge the remaining ones until they are all equal.
That makes sense. I guess if using a smart BMS then the BMS itself can control charge termination (if needed - e.g. when using higher charge voltage) itself.

flippy   100 kW

100 kW

Post by flippy » May 22 2019 12:24pm

one should NEVER use a charge voltage that is higher then your desired voltage.
that is like litteraly putting the cart in front of the horse.

please understand the following concept:

it is the job of the charger to charge the battery.

it is the job of the bms to guard against problems.

it is NOT the job of the BMS to deal with the charger. it only needs the abillty to turn it off in case something happens just like it needs to turn off the output in case of a overload/short/undervoltage.

using the BMS for cutoff is like using a concrete barrier and airbags to stop a car.

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » May 22 2019 12:40pm

I only meant a higher charge voltage like 4.2V/cell. I wouldn't want a battery to float at 4.2V/cell forever so it would need to have a cut-off. And as you said earlier that won't work well with a smart BMS. Of course it's possible to just float at a lower voltage but the charging time will be increased slightly.

john61ct   100 kW

100 kW

Post by john61ct » May 22 2019 4:54pm

LI should really not be Floated at all.

Float is dropping to a lower voltage after your charge cycle is finished, already reached your Full definition.

Bulk is CC, before target voltage is reached.

Absorb is CV, holding the setpoint for a while to get to 100% Full.

At low currents, very little or no CV is needed, "charge **to** a V setpoint and stop, CC-only" is likely within a few % of Full, and better for longevity.

flippy   100 kW

100 kW

Post by flippy » May 23 2019 12:27pm

it indeed depends on the current.
you can hit the CV stage with normal cells when only at 70% when charging hard.

john61ct   100 kW

100 kW

Post by john61ct » May 23 2019 12:39pm

And at low enough current can overcharge (damage lifespan) at a very low voltage

flippy   100 kW

100 kW

Post by flippy » May 23 2019 3:38pm

not according to my tests, with old chemistries that might be an issue but i have not seen measurable wear from doing this with more modern cells.
if you float it at 4.1 or 4.05 even you will never notice any degradation from keeping it floating. regular wear is much more of a factor then float charging.

john61ct   100 kW

100 kW

Post by john61ct » May 23 2019 4:39pm

Yes in high C-rate usage I'm sure that's true.

But the point still stands, that very low current charging - especially starting out below the taper cutoff point - will get you to Full SoC without ever hitting the high "max voltage" spec'd by the mfg.

So even at higher rates, e.g. 0.2C, doing just CC only, stop-at-voltage charging, sacrifices insignificant actual useful range.

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » May 24 2019 10:10am

I assembled one of the display boards today. I've read that the LGA-16 package of the LIS3DH accelerometer is very hard to reflow without getting shorted pads but I gave it a couple of pokes once the solder melted and everything looks ok to me.

It wasn't really necessary but I stuck some multimeter probes through the holes on the LCD FPC to align it while I manually soldered it. I tested the display module with an Arduino sketch running on my nRF52 dev kit and it works. Now I just need to create an ST7735 driver for Mynewt.

ImageImage
ImageImage

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » Jun 04 2019 4:57am

Although the firmware development has been slow (as expected) I have implemented support for the display, accelerometer, shunt temp thermistor, INA226 current/voltage monitor and Bluetooth. I also assembled a second base and display module. The first device has a 0.5mΩ shunt and the second has a 5mΩ one. The devices are already at a stage where they're more useful than a GT Power Meter to me. Note that the display and web interfaces are just for testing. They will look much better later on.

Display orientation detection

Demo video with Bluetooth connection to PC

Efficiency testing with two devices connected to PC

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » Jun 04 2019 7:33am

john61ct   100 kW

100 kW

Post by john61ct » Jun 04 2019 9:29am

looks great

whereswally606   100 kW

100 kW

Post by whereswally606 » Jun 06 2019 8:59am

really excellent work here. I've been looking for bt enabled power meters for years and always thought it was a no brainer. Glad someone is finally doing this.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jun 06 2019 6:00pm

That is nice.

I don't suppose I could enlist you to write opensource software for a couple of things to display data for Incememed's SFOC project?

(a realtime dashboard for android or a windows laptop, and a program (maybe integrated into the dashboard?) for the windows laptop to change settings, display existing settings, display logged data, do firmware updates, etc.)

I have some idea what's involved, but can't write the software itself.

flangefrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by flangefrog » Jun 06 2019 11:33pm

amberwolf wrote:
Jun 06 2019 6:00pm
That is nice.

I don't suppose I could enlist you to write opensource software for a couple of things to display data for Incememed's SFOC project?

(a realtime dashboard for android or a windows laptop, and a program (maybe integrated into the dashboard?) for the windows laptop to change settings, display existing settings, display logged data, do firmware updates, etc.)

I have some idea what's involved, but can't write the software itself.
I'd like to help but I don't want to start any other big projects. If you post more details of the requirements and controller interface in the respective thread I can have a look at it and maybe spend a day or so on a basic web app that can display live data and change settings. It might be enough that someone else could take it further.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jun 07 2019 1:54am

I totally understand.

I'd take any help I can get, though. :) So this is the thread I had started about it:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 30&t=95633
but start at this post because I listed the "reqs" in it, basically starting teh thread over:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 6#p1472376

and this is the thread about the controller development itself (not my project, but I'm testing one, and generally like it, but really really dislike the user-unfriendliness of setting it up, or trying to really test it out and gather data, etc.)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 9#p1400439

If there was something sufficiently done and documented I might even be able to figure out how to "hack" it further along...but I honestly cant' figure out where to start actually creating this thing.... I feel dumb because I have done sorts of basic programming decades ago, and I understand the basic concepts.... Just can't get a handle on this.

DrKraut   1 W

1 W

Post by DrKraut » Jul 07 2019 8:05am

Awesome project, I think lots of people are looking for BL power meters!
Great work you're doing here :bolt: