Tesla warranty ??

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
An australian Model X owner is in dispute with Tesla over the failure of both the LED headlight units on his car in a short period of time. Tesla fitted replacements, but charged the owner $2800 EACH unit as the vehicle is out of its 3 yr/80k km Warranty period.
Getting no sympathy from Tesla, the owner spoke to the headlight unit manufacturer ..Hella.. who advised him that the units were covered by a manufacturers 5 year replacement warranty .
Too late of course , Tesla already had the owners $5600,.. but will not entertain any refund due to the vehicle warranty having expired !
One very pi55ed owner !
I wonder if Tesla will claim or get replacements from Hella ??

I know in America you could attest that in court, but above a certain monetary point it's no longer the preview of small claims. Either way, 6K is quite a sum but for something so simple I could see a lawyer taking it for a bit of pocket change, assuming it's as cut-and-dry as you describe.

I believe the owner has explored his legal claim options and concluded that other than gaining some personal “moral” justice, any legal action will cost more than the value of the claim.
In hindsight, he should have dealt direct with Hella to start with.....or bought a vehicle from a REAL car manufacturer who operates a sensible Customer Care policy.
Tesla have lost at least one customer there, and possibly others from the public exposure of this issue in the motoring press and online media.

I doubt Tesla has lost a customer. They are embarrassingly loyal, against their own interests. Despite being reamed by the company they keep going back for more :?

My first response is to always find an aftermarket product, especially if it's out of warranty.

Not sure why this is such an issue to need to post about it.
Googled several headlight assemblies from Porsche Audi etc all roughly the same cost as the Tesla give or take a thousand (but at these prices what's a grand) . Some were more.... I highly doubt if I walked in the local Audi shop with my out of date car they'd be like yeah sure have a couple of freebies on us. What makes you think Tesla should?
Who knows what he was doing with them for 3 years?
Not saying I wouldn't be pissed if 6grand of my lights just winked out, but seriously, worse things in the world happen (irrespective of which car I do or don't own)
Tesla is a very very new car company compared to the establishment. Tall poppy syndrome anyone.

kdog said:
Not sure why this is such an issue to need to post about it. ....
Consider it a “Public Service Announcement” ..!
Information for anyone thinking of buying a Tesla, and wondering what their Customer Service practices may be like .

.... I highly doubt if I walked in the local Audi shop with my out of date car they'd be like yeah sure have a couple of freebies on us. What makes you think Tesla should?
Maybe because they are available as a “no cost” replacement from the manufacturer ?

PS ..but you are correct....from my personal experience,....i think you will find Audi/VW customer service would behave exactly the same ! :roll: ...which is why i sold my VW ..crap and expensive service support !

Why is Tesla selling 2021 cars with 2017 batteries?
So is that a 4 year old battery in a 2021 car ?
..or is it a 2017 car being sold in 2021 ?
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/why-is-tesla-selling-2021-cars-with-2017-batteries

jonescg said:
I doubt Tesla has lost a customer. They are embarrassingly loyal, against their own interests. Despite being reamed by the company they keep going back for more :?

Just like Apple!

Gotta say, once you select for car drivers, you've pretty much eliminated folks who act in their own interest (as opposed to acting for their maximum immediate convenience).

Back