5 minute charge battery

raylo32

100 kW
I saw the thread below about the Toyota solid state battery that supposedly charges in 10 minutes. Not sure if this has been posted here yet but Israel's StoreDot has something similar. This is all great news... although I am having a hard time conceiving of a power grid that could that could flow the required current to power a significant fleet of this type of charging stations.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times?source=techstories.org

Grid capacity could be avoided by using large storage/accumulator battery’s at the charge points.
More of an issue may be the safe operation of 600kW charge rate systems ( 1000-1500 amps).
Doesn’t Tesla already claim a 15 min charge time for some models ?

But even with this, i guess we will just have to adapt to longer refil stops.
Currently I can do 1000+ kms on a 2 min tank refil..
.. even with 5 mins for 100 miles (160 kms) i would still need 6 , x 5min stops ( 30 mins) to do the same trip. ! :roll:

Sure, charging the accumulators off peak would help. But even still, imagine as many of those as gas stations ALL doing that at once. Still will require a lot more grid capacity. And you are correct to raise the safety issue. With those levels of current things could go really bad. Equipment would have to be inspected, tested, and maintained.

Supply capacity would not be difficult..
Even with 10 of those 600kW charge units running consecutively, ...so 6.0 MW.. that is only about 50% of one single modern Wind generator for each charge area.
..so it could be local generation !.....if you dont mind wind turbines around your cities ?

How many cycles can a battery do for such a surge in current for charging. Whats happening with Hydrogen fuel cell technology?

The scale is still escaping you. There are about 120,000 gas stations in the USA, many that have upwards of 20 pumps or more. Many very busy all the time. Not saying it is impossible... just don't see it happening without a bunch of BIG nukes... especially if the transition away from fossil fuels starts affecting home heating where everyone would also need to lose the NG or oil and get a heat pump. Oof.

And speaking of station charging point numbers... this from a Porsche Taycan Blurb with current battery and charging technology. This is still 4 or 5 x the time it takes to gas a car.... and then not even full. If that doesn't get a lot better then multiply the needed charge points by the same factor.

"The base car's charging times are consistent with the other Taycan variants, at least; on a DC fast-charger, Porsche says you can go from a 5% to 80% state of charge in 22.5 minutes."

Hillhater said:
Supply capacity would not be difficult..
Even with 10 of those 600kW charge units running consecutively, ...so 6.0 MW.. that is only about 50% of one single modern Wind generator for each charge area.
..so it could be local generation !.....if you dont mind wind turbines around your cities ?

No, i am well aware of the “scale” of the issue,..
... but i was just addressing one technicality of supply .
Compared to the farcical concept of attempting to convert the entire grid to Wind & Solar power,... generating and supplying power for full fleet EV charging , is a small problem.!

Agree... there are no shortage of challenges to overcome and it won't happen overnight. Nor even by 2035.

Hillhater said:
No, i am well aware of the “scale” of the issue,..
... but i was just addressing one technicality of supply .
Compared to the farcical concept of attempting to convert the entire grid to Wind & Solar power,... generating and supplying power for full fleet EV charging , is a small problem.!

Back