Getting serious now...

It's great to hear Toyota is doing this, but it's also sad that they missed their chance to be a leader in the segment and give Elon some competition to riff off.

Well, there was no market for them to get engaged earlier. They could never sell EVs for big $$$ like Tesla, they would need to make them affordable and scale production. That was simply not possible then and maybe just now getting to be possible. And it is not just Toyota. All the big mfgs will have similar broad range of offerings in the not-too-distant future.

neptronix said:
It's great to hear Toyota is doing this, but it's also sad that they missed their chance to be a leader in the segment and give Elon some competition to riff off.

neptronix said:

Toyota made their first cars in 1935. That's a long while after the pioneering companies. They built a peerless reputation on manufacturing excellence and efficiency, and matching their product to the demands of the global market.

I argue that in all these ways, Tesla is more or less the opposite, and may end up being the Packard of EVs.

raylo32 said:
Well, there was no market for them to get engaged earlier. They could never sell EVs for big $$$ like Tesla, they would need to make them affordable and scale production. That was simply not possiblethen and maybe just now getting to be possible. ...
Exactly.. big industry is market driven, and really there was, and still is to a large extent, NO mass market for EVs.
What market there is , is a artificially created one, driven by the AGW agenda.
Toyota, had commercial EVs before Tesla, as did GM, Nissan,etc.
Most of the Automakers put an EV or two into the market early on,..usually at a loss,.. and endured low sales, poor reviews, etc, such that there was no incentive to develop more products.
Remember , it is only legislation that is driving the EV market currently, and as with anything political, that is not a solid basis for future planning.
Despite all the press releases, you can bet that the “Heritage” automakers will hang on to their traditional technology business as long as possible !

Hillhater said:
big industry is market driven, and really there was, and still is to a large extent, NO mass market for EVs.
What market there is , is a artificially created one, driven by the AGW agenda.

Yeah, volatile fuel pricing and complex, expensive to service stinky engines have nothing to do with it, I guess. :roll:

Given that EVs still have much higher upfront cost than Earth-burning vehicles, I think rapidly growing sales are an indication of strong market demand rather than the contrary.

Chalo said:
Yeah, volatile fuel pricing and complex, expensive to service stinky engines have nothing to do with it, I guess. :roll:

Given that EVs still have much higher upfront cost than Earth-burning vehicles, I think rapidly growing sales are an indication of strong market demand rather than the contrary.
Considering your expertise in the cycling arena, you seem to have little experience with modern ICE cars.. you comments seem to be based on something from the ‘60s?
Also you keep forgetting where most of the energy for powering EVs comes from..still predominantly fossil fuels !
EV sales may be growing “rapidly” in some areas, but they are still a tiny fraction of overall sales, ....and are still hugely supported by subsidies and tax incentives...ie , a “false” market .
PS.. i fully support EVs, but i am practical enough to realise that they will not make serious market penitration until a better, cheaper, lighter ?, battery system is available.

Australia must have one of the least subsidised EV markets in the world. State governments are tipping some respectable support into EVs, which is good, and as a result we're seeing EVs as a percentage of new car sales crack the 1% mark. It was 0.1% about 3 years ago.

The market for EVs is growing steadily, and all else being equal, people will choose them regardless of government incentives or disincentives.

And yes, if Toyota wanted to make EVs I have no doubt they could make some outstanding ones; reliable and affordable. They just happen to have a list of suppliers 3000 vendors long who are not happy with the likely drop in orders... SO they're taking it as slow as they can possibly go.

Back