Currie goes belly up

I wonder what will happen to my Northern Tool Replacement warranty on my Electric Mongoose.
It comes due in about a year.

I hope they're able to reorganize and stay in business. They served an important niche -- the cheap, the broke, and the children. :)

NO!!!
They owe me a new controller. I finally got them to admit that there is a problem with my bike and send me a new controller under warranty. Last time I called (2 weeks ago), they said that the part shoud be in next week. I better call them again.
Too bad... :cry:

Bummer about them filing but a re-org doesn't kill a business.. hopefully they can pull it through, the chain drive is a nice quiet delivery of power.

On the currie subject; I really want to get a E-zip trailz mongoose.. I rode one today at a scooter place on my way home, it wasn't as fast as my bike but it was smooth and quiet!!

Unfortunately he wants $599 for it, I heard they were like $279 however Walmart says "temp out of stock" anyone checked to see if they are getting a shipment?? I want to get one of these for my wife to keep her off mine..
Thanks for any tips..

Check with Northern Tool. If you have an outlet you can order it and have it shipped to the store for free. They are $329 I think/

Northern Tool, Currie, and Target also all have Amazon storefronts -- lots of Currie bikes still:
http://tinyurl.com/22h7vr

Wow that too bad too see, I think Currie puts together a good quality product for average consumers and if we loose them it will be even harder to spread EV transportation causing us because an even smaller market. They are also finally getting into more revolutionary products using CVT's and finally pushing for NiMH and Li for consumers.

Currie must be run like crap or by thieves.

They have access to the biggest suppliers in the world, in China, and they sell here for significant prices at the largest retailers.

That's huge room for profits... yet they still file for CH11?

Where's the MONEY?

8)

So does this mean the party is on hold or are they back from the dead?

http://www.earthtoys.com/news.php?section=view&id=2967

CURRIE AND ENVIRONMENTALIST ED BEGLEY LAUNCH NEW IZIP EXPRESS E-BIKES
Visit http://www.izipusa.com for further information.

Launch includes test rides for press and retail at Outdoor Demo 2007 on September 25 and ‘meet-and-greet’ with Ed Begley, Jr. on the convention show floor on September 26

For Immediate Release:

August 20, 2007 – Chatsworth, CA – Currie Technologies, the North American leader in hybrid electric bicycle innovation and sales, will launch their new line of IZIP Express high-speed bicycles at the 2007 Interbike convention in Las Vegas September 24-28 at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas.

The IZIP Express is powered by a dual drive system featuring the patented Dolphin Hybrid Drive, creating a unique bicycle with extremely high power, range and speed. The IZIP Express will outdistance, outrun and outperform virtually any other hybrid electric bikes on the market at speeds up to 40 km/h (25 mph), making them a practical alternative to gas-powered vehicles for many people.

Ed Begley, Jr. will join the IZIP team at the Outdoor Demo in Boulder City, NV on Tuesday, September 25 for test rides on the new IZIP Express. Begley, a long-time supporter of bike riding for both fitness and environmental impact, will use the terrain of Boulder City to demonstrate the climbing pace and ease of ascending hills that the Express delivers. Begley will be available for press photos and interviews during the demo. Begley will then appear at the Currie Technologies / IZIP convention booth at Interbike on Wednesday, September 26. He will be available to meet with the press and retailers on the convention floor, where all of the IZIP Express models will be on display.

“Next to walking, cycling has always been my preferred transportation choice” says Begley. “I’ve been involved with electric bikes since their introduction in Europe many years ago. I began working with Currie Technologies and IZIP because I really think their hybrid technology gets it right. It’s the kind of bike that can convince non-bike riders to get out of their cars and ride. Now, with the Express, people have a bike that can legitimately replace their car for many trips and errands. If I had to identify my most important ‘green’ message for the coming year, it would be to encourage people to ‘get out of their cars’. With the Express, it’s easy!”

“Currie Technologies’ relationship with Ed Begley, Jr. and his TV series underscores our company’s commitment to reducing carbon emissions through cycling-as-transportation” said Currie president Larry Pizzi. “Bicycles have always been a sport and fitness activity, but we want to encourage non-cycling enthusiasts to consider hybrid electric bicycles as a green transportation alternative. The Express makes that possible – and helps the overall cycling industry grow.”

Reading between the lines of the article Miles posted, it sounds like Total EV owed them a significant amount of money but went belly up. I guess they lost their attempt to get the money out of Central and SouthWestern, (Total's parent company).

So they have a huge negative balance on the books and were relying on a big payoff to repay loans, but now that's not going to happen. Bankruptcy reorganization may allow them to force a renegotiation of terms from the initial loans, hand over a chunk of ownership to the lenders, and continue operation.

Two things I noticed:

1. The article states the IZIP Express ebike will do 40 km/h (25 mph).

Will any retailers attempt to sell it?

This speed is over the CPSC 20 mph limit, and I bet the motor is over the 250W UK limit.

2. The IZIP Express ebike looks like an imported swizzbee ebike:

http://www.izipusa.com/pdf/08_express_spread.pdf

http://swizzbee.com/index.htm

disadvantage

In the California market (which is a large market in and of itself) the 25mph is street legal as a "bicycle".

For areas where the rules are not so generous, it may be sold under the same "off road only" category that pocketbikes are sold under.

Good question as to whether customs & enforcement will attempt to delay import or collect different tarrifs if it doesn't fall under the CPSC e-bike provision.

Back