Oregon’s SoloPower wins $197 mil loan

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
SoloPower wins $197 million loan guarantee for solar panel factory

The Department of Energy has granted a $197 million loan guarantee to SoloPower for the building of a (400 MW/yr) thin-film solar panel manufacturing facility in Wilsonville, Ore.

…

SoloPower says its secret sauce is a low-cost, highly efficient electroplating manufacturing process. Its manufacturing process works by depositing copper, indium, gallium and selenide on rolls of flexible stainless steel materials and transforms them into flexible modules. According to the DOE, that allows the company to improve module size and weight, ease of installation, and reduces mounting hardware.

Neat! KF

This is great! Flexible solar makes sense in a real-world environment where things tend to wiggle a bit. It should also avoid needing to make hundreds of little soldered connections between cells in a panel, and avoid needing the rigid backing plate. Good stuff!

There were rumors about a solar manufacturing plant coming to Eugene, anyone heard anything about that? I think I heard they were looking to use the old Hynix facility. Willsonville is too far north, darn it.

Just wanted to bump this and post an interesting find. Relatively speaking I would call these cheap especially for flexible solar cells. Might go nice on an ellipsoid base conical fairing :)
1200-011-2T.jpg

http://www.simpleray.com/Unisolar-144-Watt-Solar-Laminate-PVL-144-p/1200-014.htm

REdiculous said:
There were rumors about a solar manufacturing plant coming to Eugene, anyone heard anything about that? I think I heard they were looking to use the old Hynix facility. Willsonville is too far north, darn it.

heard this also. I drive by the Hynix place every day on my way to work and have been watching for any signs of life and haven't seen much yet.

Back