University of Arizona and Velocis Bikes, Tucson

Lock

100 MW
This sounds like a nice ebike success story. Seen here:
http://uanews.org/node/43481
UA Alumni, Students Build Eller Business Success Stories
By Rebecca Ruiz-McGill, University Communications, November 29, 2011

A new Southern fusion gastropub; an electric bicycle venture; e-software for viewing, ordering and purchasing meals; and an online marketplace for college class notes are a few of the local and national venture success stories to come out of the UA Eller College of Management.

and
From restaurants to transportation, current UA students John-Mark Bantock, Sam Ellis, Taylor Hedberg and Lindsey Erlick have developed an electric bike venture. The business is based on electric bikes that will be designed by the future owner using the best components on the market.

Over the course of a year as part of their McGuire experience, the students developed a business plan, conducted more than 100 interviews with retailers across the nation, established a fully operational supply chain with various suppliers, manufacturers, assemblers, painters and retail partners, and tested it all out on a fully functioning prototype.

The team also created a marketing plan and implemented a full social media campaign that positioned electric bikes as a cool, trendy way to commute, and ultimately pitched their venture to potential investors.

The team members won first place in the year-end venture competition. More importantly, the team has started a business called Velocis Bikes.

The group attributes its success to the McGuire experience.

"Through the McGuire Center, you have access to funding for prototypes and market research, experienced proven entrepreneurs, an amazing website development team, a law team, and access to angel investors who will tell you exactly what your weak points are," said Ellis. "If you put in the time and effort, McGuire can help you turn an idea into an actual fully operational company."

Velocis Bikes here:
http://velocisbikes.com/

No hits on ES for Velocis so I thought I'd give `em a mention... Looks like all BionX equipped bikes plus kits for sale, and bike rentals too.

Lock

Wow. I'm not sure what to say.... What happened? Thier extensive research fail to find ES? No doubt people will be stampeding to get thier hands on an expensive 250w bionix bike. Especially after they get back from spectating the Death Race.

Too bad their research didn't include a vist to see and ride a real ebike. Not so far to my house, or the Phoenix ES group even closer. Really smart would have been a trip to San Francisco area.

Well, I wish em luck, and lots of new arriving retirees with money in town. The typical ebike adopter and his $500 budget won't be buying bionx. Only after the addiction sets in can you get em to spend on lithium.

http://velocisbikes.com/products-page/products/mountain

230watt-hour battery pack on a 250watt bike for $2500....

Wow... Way to underwhelm and overcharge. And it's a bionix setup, so you can't even hack it (at least not with out lots of work) to become something that can suit your needs.

I dunno, maybe they know the Tucscon market better than I think. We see lots of noob posts here from the cash strapped student needing transportation. While the rich retiree typical in the SW may just want the best, and jump to buy the most expensive. Most of Tuscon is pretty flat too.

Wouldn't bother me if the rich retiree in Las Cruces started buying bionx. I don't even see many bikes at all at estate sales.

I know squat about buisness, the one I started failed. But it seems to me hooking up with Methods, or becoming an Ebikekit distributor would have opened up their market segment a lot. Nothing wrong with offering bionx, but a less expensive kit offering would open up thier market niche a lot wider.

I wonder if they know diddly about bikes at all. Notice the mountain version has a single ring front crank? Just what you need to ride up mt Lemmmon. They say all bikes are customizable, and maybe they do have a 27 speed frame in thier choices. But as the mountian version, they should have shown it. That's a comfort bike in the pic.

Back