The Rickshaw Tourist Business

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Well, well... "Search found 7 matches: +rickshaw".

Only 7 "hits" in the whole EG (Ebikers Gospel)??? (And five of them mine???)

Perhaps I didn't search for the right word or words...

The reason why I ask is I find myself needing to find some new source of income...

My desired are:
1) EVerybuddy have fun.
2) Make money (obviously. It's fun giving it away.)
3) Promote the electramaterrific thingee (the "electric bicycle").
4) Employ young folks (`cause they still like fun, making money, plus their brains maybe are more "curious" - if their parents haven't got to them first.)

So here's my thought...

Employ youth riding electric bicycles to take money from the rich.

(Sorry, should have said "tourists" plus others.)

... by offering rides in a "rickshaw" style two-wheeled thingee coupled to the ebike (not the rider) in areas that attract that species of animals (eg around a harbour, etc.) Basically no where with "too steep" hills (up or down). For safety reasons.

I have already tracked down and spoken with one area bicycle/trailer builder. He agreed it's no big step to add comfy seating onto a back trailer. A safety "seat belt" too of course.

I am aware there are one or more businesses already offering "rickshaw" rides, but AFAIK these folks all use "Cheezy-style" heavy etrikes made in China.

Watt I want is a more-or-less "normal" ebike, that can be de-coupled from said "rickshaw" (big comfy seat for 2-3, umbrella, cigar holder, bell folks can ring, by cord or electrically, etc. - the rickshaw, not the bike, silly!).

So, anybuddy on Alt. Reality Planet ES got any ideas on this approach to make maybe lots of money?

Cheers
L

This is a good idea. From what I know about Pedicabs though, there are many pitfalls to the business including feudal wars with the local taxi cab drivers.

Good point! Perhaps they'll be OK w/rickshaws that only go `round-and-`round aka stick to only one area.

L
(Must remind workers to keep the buckets of caviar cold. Watt??? Your taxi car don't have any caviar??? Ugh! )
Hehe

Note to self: Must remember a blanket plus fur from some dead animal for a muff in the basket under the R.S., in case the Ladies are chilly spring/fall.

Forgot. You said "there are many pitfalls to the business." OK, "competing" (not really) taxis. And?

LockH said:
Note to self: Must remember a blanket plus fur from some dead animal for a muff in the basket under the R.S., in case the Ladies are chilly spring/fall.

Forgot. You said "there are many pitfalls to the business." OK, "competing" (not really) taxis. And?

Insurance and liability if someone gets hurt is another issue. On pedicabs, your speed is pretty limited, but on an "electricab", you better have some damn good brakes and lighting!

Then, there's the fact that you can't really "charge" a rate but must ask for "donations". The local authorities see your tax-free business as impeding on tax paying businesses.

I met and talked too the owner a few years ago whilst visiting my friend in Annapolis and he said he makes all of his profit from Advertising alone! He has an army of college students that work it free for tips. His biggest expense is of course, insurance :oops:

OK. Motor speed limited to mosey-mode while on duty (does however go uphill real good.)

In some central location, fresh (small) batt packs to "fast swap".

One problem I have re "insurance". May tend to make some folks think they are "invincible". (BTW... Anybuddy here using seat belts on their bicycles, for "safety reasons"?)

Advertizing? Veeeery interesting...

EDIT: Re shuttle... Fun, but zero op to use/promo the electric bicycle. Sorry!

LockH said:
OK. Motor speed limited to mosey-mode while on duty (does however go uphill real good.)

In some central location, fresh (small) batt packs to "fast swap".

One problem I have re "insurance". May tend to make some folks think they are "invincible". (BTW... Anybuddy here using seat belts on their bicycles, for "safety reasons"?)

Advertizing? Veeeery interesting...

EDIT: Re shuttle... Fun, but zero op to use/promo the electric bicycle. Sorry!

I use a belt when biking, but only when I'm wearing jeans :wink:

"These guys in Penticton British Columbia sell electric velotaxis for 3700 Cdn..."

Nice. And close, but no bananas. (Does not promo any attached electric bicycle.)

"I'm tempted...could be some good retirement income there, when the cruise ships come in to Victoria."

Yah. EXCELLENT location (speaking as a former NB (Navy Brat, having been born in Vic, and lived there... twice... plus in Alberni, while my Dad was off about that Korean thingee).

But why wait for "retirement"??? (Maybe term the rickshaw "ES Style" hehe...) Wanna start with only one high school/university student, looking for some summer "work"? (Should be maybe some pretty young thing, boy or grrrl.) Must suggest a great posterior, but that would be rude. (And maybe extra tips.)

Had a thought... (Why does that guy keep saying Oh oh...)

... And speaking of "promo"... These folks:
http://www.ezeebike.ca/index.html

Perhaps ya might give Scooter Underground a dingle (ring/telephone call) over at 1320 Cook Street. And how might THEY promote their own product? (How much do they spend in annual advertizing costs.)

Having fun yet?

Scooter Underground is defunct as of about two years ago...I do think you could make some good coin here with those taxis...but the insurance question is definitely the major hurdle. What if you spook one of the horse-drawn carriages?

"What if you spook one of the horse-drawn carriages"

No problem. Ya take the horsey a carrot before ya start into business. Keep a bag of carrots handy for the rickshaw operator (to feed the horse, silly, not the ebike rider.)

EDIT: Sooo... Anybuddy representing EZ in Vic yet?

Is there really nobuddy selling the electric bicycle??? Also, Vic is probably lousy with the "yachty set". AKA $$$.

BTW... In case anybuddy here is contemplating getting into this biz, given "tips only" (and a handy cup or bucket, perhaps "seeded" with one or more "large bills" ), be sure and tell any ebike riders to ALWAYS CHECK THE SHOES (of prospective richshaw riders/passengers.) The more expensive the better. Bonus points if polished.

PPS (should any Latin Lover ebike riders be reading this, I guess.)

In my handy-dandy shoulder purse right now I have a bunch of cards from an area ebike seller that I know (Full disclosure, I have already emailed her a link to this thread.)

If any of her cards show up at her store (and translate into a sale of an electric bicycle), my understanding is it translates into a nice "tip" pour moi.

So if any ebikers riding and pulling a rickshaw... and gives their customers a BIG TIP (instead of the other way around)...

Just sayin...

The E-Cycle guys (Chinese-Canadians) tried it too, circa 5 years ago, in Vancouver.

Never made it work properly.

White elephant, even though on paper it looked like a winner, with Stanley Park here.

4LivesPerGallon said:
The E-Cycle guys (Chinese-Canadians) tried it too, circa 5 years ago, in Vancouver.
Never made it work properly.
White elephant, even though on paper it looked like a winner, with Stanley Park here.

Bonus points for trying. Butt again, no thought I suspect to pull rickshaws behind an attached ebike (that promotes the tech/generates sales for local ebike shops).

(Sorry if I spelled "but" incorrectly here.)

Lock,

Check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UWPdtr2zLM

You could bring them in from Indonesia and electrify them at your end. Get custom paint jobs on them before sending!

There's a young guy down there that tinkers around with all sorts of e-vehicle projects. I can dig up his contact if you like.

Cheers

Tom

Fun Tom. `Cept I'm only interested in pulling a cart by attached ebike. (Selling the sizzle rather than the whole cow.) :wink:

"The Electric (Assist) Pedicabs of Provincetown"
http://insideevs.com/electric-assist-pedicabs-provincetown/
img_3544-750x563.jpg

"The town has embraced the cabs from the beginning as a tourist pull and a revenue source, but also as a strategy to keep car traffic down, particularly in the pedestrian-heavy areas around the gallery and restaurant districts."

Interesting.

Back