Tesla model D?

If it has a sub 3 second 0-60mph, I'm getting one. :)

I expect it will, as it was stated the front of the car had all the provisions designed into it to hold a second copy of the rear drive-train in the front as well. :)

Lots of people here in Norway been waiting for a 4wd version of Tesla MS.
If this is it I expect next years sales for Tesla will be of the roof. MS, MS D and MX.
SUV buyers are waiting for the X and if even those who don't fancy a SUV can have 4wd I suspect Norway will be an even bigger Tesla nation then we are now. As it is I think about 10% of all Teslas end up here. Wouldn't be surprised to see 15% next year. Or even more?

As of now Norway are one of the few countries that give buyers of EV a real incentive. No VAT which for ICE cars is 25%.
Then we have a one time tax which formula is a combination of vehicles weight, power, CO2. And that sum is also null for electric cars. So as it turns out MS 60 cost about the same as a fairly "ticked" VW Passat station wagon. Too bad politicians will void the tax haven for EV in a year or two.....Tesla will likely double in price and then some based on weight and power alone.

AWD is what I'm waiting for in an electric.

cal3thousand said:

And that is different from 4WD how?
Tesla S AWD is what we are hoping is hiding behind the letter D. Speculations says D=dual for dual drive setup.
2 motors yet 4 wheel drive or AWD. Dont need 4 motors. 2 will work too via diff.

And 2015 will for sure bring Tesla Model X. An SUV with AWD.
But with stupid falcon rear doors so you can't fit a ski rack on your roof.
Where are those twin tips, snowboards gonna be? Inside the car so you can't take your kids skiing, or maybe need to leave the wife?
(oh what a great feature - weekends without the wife)

And that is 1 reason many are waiting for model S AWD.

macribs said:
Lots of people here in Norway been waiting for a 4wd version of Tesla MS.
If this is it I expect next years sales for Tesla will be of the roof. MS, MS D and MX. .

Last reports were that Tesla were struggling to figure out how to build enough MX's to begin to fill the pre-sold orders, let alone fill any new demand.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/heres-why-surging-demand-could-be-a-problem-for-teslas-new-suv-2014-9
I suspect they have a few bottlenecks in their supply chain and assembly capacity.

Let's wait for the Model 3 in the D version :twisted: 3D....

That's a great commercial name that also sound great....enh? 3D.... just like many of the high tech stuff actually sold.. that are made or even not made of any 3D technology.. the name sell by itself.. lol imagine now a TESLA 3D... 35000$ E-car AWD from TESLA .. I would sell my Volt and get one!!! :mrgreen:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Let's wait for the Model 3 in the D version :twisted: 3D....

That's a great commercial name that also sound great....enh? 3D.... just like many of the high tech stuff actually sold.. that are made or even not made of any 3D technology.. the name sell by itself.. lol imagine now a TESLA 3D... 35000$ E-car AWD from TESLA .. I would sell my Volt and get one!!! :mrgreen:

Doc

Too funny Doc. Maybe they can have some open source files to 3d print out cup holders and a bunch of other customized goofy stuff for them. 8)

Ohh what a car it will be! I am so all in for this. Tesla model S P85D.
D was for Dual. Same drive train up front.

You can even put in your order right now. http://www.teslamotors.com

Pay attention to the autopilot - nice feature in the morning rush hour ;)

[youtube]7quu551ehc0[/youtube]

Dual drive will be an option for all models, Ms 60, 85, and P85D.
It will have:
  • All wheel drive
  • 691 HP for the MS P85 D
  • 0-60 mph 3.2 seconds
  • Top speed 155 mph
  • Front radar and camera to "see" pedestriants, signs etc
  • "Autopilot" for file change etc

New dash:

The_dashboard_of_a_new_all_wheel_drive_version_of_the_Tesla_Mode.jpg

szf6c954.jpg

szf6c8c8.jpg

Forgot to put in the video so I updated my post above.
Finally Tesla did it. MS P85D will be a winner.

It will be an amazing piece of kit, but realistically, ~700HP is likely to be too much for regular road driving. It's not like the regular model's ~400HP was insufficient.

On the plus side is 4WD and the ability to compete with super/hyper cars if the handling is good (perhaps unlikely), where BHP bragging rights in the pub seems to sell the cars.

Punx0r said:
It will be an amazing piece of kit, but realistically, ~700HP is likely to be too much for regular road driving. It's not like the regular model's ~400HP was insufficient.

On the plus side is 4WD and the ability to compete with super/hyper cars if the handling is good (perhaps unlikely), where BHP bragging rights in the pub seems to sell the cars.

It is never enough power. Never I tell you ;)

All kidding aside, this is way more important then the share numbers alone.
What do you get with the second motor?

Easier load on both motors, which will lead to even more range and less battery drain. Higher efficiencies. Could lead to longer battery life, prolonged life span for motors and drive units. Less wear and tear.
Probably the fastest 4WD system in the world. Nothing will even come close to the reaction time of Tesla's 4WD. As all others I think is mechanical or even electro hydraulic.

Tesla MS D will react lightning fast - lidderly speaking. Or if optic cables to sensors etc.
What will the benefit of that be? Well you will have an even more sofisticated traction control and ESP. Faster response means the ability to keep the after all heavy vehicle on the road even in harsh slippery winter conditions. Better attack at steep hills in poor road conditions. You have dual controllers and dual motors. Suddenly no single point of failure. Even if on motor or controller fails you can still continue driving.

And to top it all you have insane bragging rights and the quickest series produced saloon in the world. 3.2 seconds 0-100 km/h.
Imagine the fun this car will bring you. The joy out of each light, on snow covered icy roads, where you can practice drifting even safer then before and set up angles even steeper and still stay on the road.

The only downside to this otherwise wonderful news is the lack of interior updates. Why Tesla? Why would you make the greatest car in the world and then make the interior look like it is best suited for soccer moms?

This is how the seat should be. With proper side support. Saleen showed us. Now time to step up an make this a mans car Tesla!
2014-saleen-tesla-model-s-10_600x0w.jpg

macribs said:
cal3thousand said:

And that is different from 4WD how?
Tesla S AWD is what we are hoping is hiding behind the letter D. Speculations says D=dual for dual drive setup.
2 motors yet 4 wheel drive or AWD. Dont need 4 motors. 2 will work too via diff.

And 2015 will for sure bring Tesla Model X. An SUV with AWD.
But with stupid falcon rear doors so you can't fit a ski rack on your roof.
Where are those twin tips, snowboards gonna be? Inside the car so you can't take your kids skiing, or maybe need to leave the wife?
(oh what a great feature - weekends without the wife)

And that is 1 reason many are waiting for model S AWD.

4WD implies that the 4 wheels are locked together, either all the time or when you activate it.

AWD means that power is routed to all four wheels but they are not locked into spinning 1:1. Generally with AWD (depending on the system), as one tire or set of tires loses traction, power is routed to the other tires.

If an electric has AWD using 4 independent motors, power can be modulated in a way that the tire with the very most traction gets the power immediately. This can allow a car to make harder corners by providing additional power to the outer wheels to rotate the car around. (It could also be accomplished via very sophisticated differentials and 2 motors)

speedmd said:
They are not going to put high bolstered seats in as standard equipment as they will not fit a good share of the customer base here in the US. There are some real big folks out there. :shock:

I've been alongside football fields with more comfy seats then the Tesla got now. It is terrible.
Did a 500 km trip Trondheim - Oslo. Well thanks to the rapid acceleration in the P85 I got a big smile. But those seats was just horrible. Tesla need to offer more options. I am not saying seats like that are for everyone. But as those seats have dozens of sensors and a handfull of airbags you can't just swap them for a pair of Recaro's. So pls Tesla get better seats as an option. Real seats with more adjustments and beefy bolstering to keep you in place while driving those twisty country roads.

Btw I am a big guy too and for me the best seats I've ever had was the previous Amg Merc. Sport seats for fat asses ;)

@cal3thousand
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've been using those terms loosely for years without even thinking that they implied different things. That's what I get for being too lazy to look up new terms I come across. But hey, finally we got "Google Now" :mrgreen:

Well the Tesla would have had faster wheel response with an AWD setup consisting of 4 motors that is true. But it will still be the quickest working 4 wd around for now and all that in a 7 seat luxury saloon. And traction on the front end is too is still better then power in the rear only when on harsh road conditions.

4wd and all wheel drive are meaningless terms. Too many options/ intricacies to discuss as two separate families of drives. Some by torque, some use brakes, some use electronic clutches, etc etc. 4WD in many trucks has a lockup system and also will run 4 wheels without it. "All wheel" is just a new to be different Madison avenue marketing team. It is known as "bullshit" where I come from. Would only truly mean something if you had three or six wheels.

I am with you on the seating macribs. They should have as options much nicer / sportier seats. Hard to make a one size fits all. Car is much to fast for slide about seating.

It has been observed that the typical driver of a luxury saloon (sedan) car is a middle-aged man. Most of these haven't the desire or physique to sit in a hard seat and have their teeth rattled by firm suspension. Hence my prediction that Tesla will go with compliant suspension and comfy armchairs, unless they do a "sports" package for the youngsters and those having a mid-life crisis :)

Punx0r said:
It has been observed that the typical driver of a luxury saloon (sedan) car is a middle-aged man. Most of these haven't the desire or physique to sit in a hard seat and have their teeth rattled by firm suspension. Hence my prediction that Tesla will go with compliant suspension and comfy armchairs, unless they do a "sports" package for the youngsters and those having a mid-life crisis :)

Well that is kind of naturally don't you think. After all, luxury saloons are tailor made for mid life dudes with large bellies.
Those who actually would benefit most from those cars can't afford them. Thinking of young families with several kids. They often still struggle in low paying jobs while climbing the ladder. And as most of us did, they end up with a cheap used vehicle that is too old to have all modern days safety features and have really gulping engines. So it eats even more of the already small paycheck.
And driving in to work we all dreamed about the day we could afford a nice smooth saloon with climate control and what not.

Way of life. When you need money the most you ain't got any. Later on when you are an old fart you have plenty of it and really nothing to spend it on. Well at least those old farts keep many a bartender, boiler rooms and working girls happy ;)

Honestly as I am knocking on the 60 mark and in better shape and lighter now than when I finished college over 35 years ago, I would not consider this D over a 911, the fast nissan or one of those fancy benz's unless I could get decent supportive seats in it. The last thing I would want is a road rocket that I would slide around in. I bet they get all the bells and whistles as options, and nice bucket seats I am sure will be one of them in the fastest models. No way they can steer clear of that for long. For test drives and intros a more general purpose interior is fine.

As a guy who has sat in the drivers seat of a Tesla Model S for >12hrs a day for a few days in a row, I have no idea what folks are talking about with respect to them being uncomfortable.

I have never experienced a more comfortable driving experience, and this is coming from a guy who has driven Rolls Royce's and Bentley's etc.

If you don't want a stupid fast car that doesn't spew carcinogens into the faces of everyone around you, you're always free to choose some dinosaur powered hunk of shit to drive.

macribs said:
Punx0r said:

Well that is kind of naturally don't you think. After all, luxury saloons are tailor made for mid life dudes with large bellies.
Those who actually would benefit most from those cars can't afford them. Thinking of young families with several kids. They often still struggle in low paying jobs while climbing the ladder. And as most of us did, they end up with a cheap used vehicle that is too old to have all modern days safety features and have really gulping engines. So it eats even more of the already small paycheck.
And driving in to work we all dreamed about the day we could afford a nice smooth saloon with climate control and what not.

Way of life. When you need money the most you ain't got any. Later on when you are an old fart you have plenty of it and really nothing to spend it on. Well at least those old farts keep many a bartender, boiler rooms and working girls happy ;)

i think the recent EV inititative in california included providing help with arranging financing and shared ownership or use of EV for disadvantaged residents.

i feel like the best thing they could do is allow homeowners to install curbside charging spots or in their driveway for neighbors to use. allow homeowners to do this without having to overbuild it like it had to support a huge building. when you have to support all the bureaucrats and inspectors and general layabouts who suck on the guvment teat then you add huge costs and disincentives to the very people who could help most by providing a ubiquitous charging infrastructure available everywhere, so the range anxiety argument could be eliminated.

it is entirely up to the public to provide charging spots, not the guvment and it should be free of taxes and regulation by the guvment so people can install charging spots everywhere without fear of guvment inspectors condemning their property because of unjust and ignorant code provisions.

Back