Tesla swap station between SF/LA in "limited beta mode"

dnmun

1 PW
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tesla Motors Inc. TSLA, -1.40% Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk tweeted Friday that a battery-pack swap station is operating between San Francisco and Los Angeles in "limited beta mode." Drivers of Tesla's electric cars would be able to swap their drained batteries "faster than visiting a gas station," Musk said on the tweet. A blog about the swap station is forthcoming, he said. In a video available on Tesla's website about battery swaps, Musk said drivers can either use a Tesla supercharger station to recharge the battery in their car, which "is and always will be free", or choose to swap the battery, which would take a minute and a half but would not be free. The battery swap option is another step in "convincing the skeptics," showing that an electric car is more convenient than a gasoline car, Musk said in the video. "That's what convinces people finally that electric cars are the future," Musk said.

I like the practicalities of a 90 second battery swap, but it makes me wonder what sort of guarantee you get on the battery you end up with. Your car might have a 1-2 year old pack that you've nursed and cared for very well, then following a swap you end up owning a 5 year old abused POS instead.

when i listened to that lecture by JB Straubel he was talking about how they are building out the supercharging spots with these big 40kWh charge storage bunkers at these supercharger stations to store up charge in between customers so they can service the current stations fastest at peak times. they may have been larger and were built up using the same structure as the car's battery pack. another business outlet they are pursuing, providing backup storage power for critical infrastructure.

most likely they expect you to return the swapped pack and pick up your pack on the return trip.

the only reason that would be a problem i expect would be if one of the car magazine reviewers decides it is another thing to trash Tesla about.

just like they will use the same argument about getting a trashed pack and use that in the article too.

but Tesla warrants their batteries for 6 years now i think.

Tesla should partner with some major gas station chain for the battery swap stations since the infrastructure is already there. This would take years to implement.

Or perhaps even partner with Best Buy for the swap stations?

dnmun said:
most likely they expect you to return the swapped pack and pick up your pack on the return trip.
I wonder what happens with those that wouldn't be going back, for whatever reason?

The swapout probably happens in the mid/central area of Cali along Hwy 5 (a long mostly straight shot that shaves over an hours time vs. the scenic routes). I've driven to LA numerous times. At first, I thought it was about the speediest, most efficient route was the norm. Then realized how scenic and much more pleasant driving closer to the coast was.

I guess you have to start somewhere though, and fertilizer fields and flat, blue sky terrain is a smart move. But, the real trip is when they build the infrastructure on the coast. I want a charge on a cliff side overlooking Big Sur. :mrgreen: Shit. If the weather cooperates, I'll just plug in, and go explore via alternative transport (bike, surf, etc.).

Back