Is cyclotricity bikes enterily made in england? Probably not

edrift.eu

1 W
cyclotricity just open its homepage in sweden and there are a lots of "lies".

"Our bikes are the only electric bike range that is entirely built on our beloved island (england)".

Most of their bikes have only standard chinese stuff like 8fun motors and bottle batteries. Some of the high end ones have stuff that looks like they could be "hand mounted" in england but surely chassis, parts and electronics come from china.

They are also offering the bikes for the same price as straight from china bikes so i would love to get the input of this community.

Is this brittish company really making top quality ebikes by hand (that look and cost like the chinese ones)?

The have made the "frame design" themselves ins CAD but that is probably all that is unique.

On their cheapest €700 ebike ($800) it seems like everything is from china:
Sahara electric bike http://cyclotricity.com/sahara-electric-bike/

On their high-end side, lets take the Stealth 1000W (i beet they have not heart of stealth electric bikes line?):
http://cyclotricity.com/stealth-1000w/
Im not so shure BUT i think the engine looks like a MAC från em3ev and the battery case, is that from china or "hand made in england" to look lie the Chinese ones?

Please let me know your opinion on these bikes?
What is actually made in england except assembly and CAD design of the frame?

Probably the only thing done in the UK is final assembly, with all major parts being imported from the Far East.

This engine in particular would be interesting to know more about. Has anyone seen this design before:

revolver-500w-moto.jpg

http://cyclotricity.com/wp-content/gallery/revolver-500w-15ah/revolver-500w-moto.jpg

It looks like a 9Continent clone, which are ubiquitous 500 and 1000W rated motors at the low end of the market.

I don't see an "engine" anywhere in this thread, but the motor shown in that picture looks, as Punxor says, like a "9C' clone--typical "generic" motor, probably DD, probably "500w" (and if so easily run at peaks of 2kw or more, probably sustainable at 1kw+ depending on conditions).

Punx0r said:
Probably the only thing done in the UK is final assembly, with all major parts being imported from the Far East.
That would be the most likely explanation. No different than any other manufacturer who claims "Made in ____". It's a global economy.

amberwolf said:
I don't see an "engine" anywhere in this thread, but the motor shown in that picture. . . .

The problem is, you're insisting on usage that is pure Urban Legend. (Although, accidentally, your sentence is correct.) Yes, I grew up with it. Yes, it's a habit I have trouble shaking, not that I'm really trying anymore. 'Engine' does not mean gas/diesel, etc. An eBike can't have an engine, but 'Motor' refers to a device that moves it about, i.e. transportation, while 'Engine' remains in one place. More recently people have tried to add that to be an engine it has to run on thermal energy, that it has to run on "Fuel," (??) lots of fun, incompatible ideas.

When the railroads ran on steam, a locomotive would power through the middle of nowhere with a steam MOTOR. (Thermal.) Oh, the railroad bought another identical steam device that it used as the engine to power the switching equipment, lights, bells, etc. in that location.

So in proper english, a car does not have an internal combustion ENGINE, it has an internal combustion MOTOR. If you tow a trailer with a winch on it, it's an electric ENGINE. Not that it matters, once a rule of speech is that far gone you wonder if there's a point in getting it back, so I don't bother correcting people normally. Just don't INCORRECT people.

OH, and I said winch. But if I'd said 'WENCH,' that would have required a picture. (Dang, and me a nondrinker.)

medieval_wench.thumbnail.jpg

Dauntless said:
amberwolf said:
I don't see an "engine" anywhere in this thread, but the motor shown in that picture. . . .

The problem is, you're insisting on usage that is pure Urban Legend. (Although, accidentally, your sentence is correct.) Yes, I grew up with it. Yes, it's a habit I have trouble shaking, not that I'm really trying anymore. 'Engine' does not mean gas/diesel, etc. An eBike can't have an engine, but 'Motor' refers to a device that moves it about, i.e. transportation, while 'Engine' remains in one place. More recently people have tried to add that to be an engine it has to run on thermal energy, that it has to run on "Fuel," (??) lots of fun, incompatible ideas.

When the railroads ran on steam, a locomotive would power through the middle of nowhere with a steam MOTOR. (Thermal.) Oh, the railroad bought another identical steam device that it used as the engine to power the switching equipment, lights, bells, etc. in that location.

So in proper english, a car does not have an internal combustion ENGINE, it has an internal combustion MOTOR. If you tow a trailer with a winch on it, it's an electric ENGINE. Not that it matters, once a rule of speech is that far gone you wonder if there's a point in getting it back, so I don't bother correcting people normally. Just don't INCORRECT people.

OH, and I said winch. But if I'd said 'WENCH,' that would have required a picture. (Dang, and me a nondrinker.)

medieval_wench.thumbnail.jpg

That is reverse of my understanding - electric motor, gas engine. An engine generates power, a motor uses it.

Don't get too hung up on definitions. The root of" "engine" is in the same sense of "ingenious" and came to be applied to various clever mechanical devices (siege engine) and is commonly and correctly applied to steam and internal-combustion engines.

The root of "Motor" is a person (later a device) that imparts motion.

"electric engine" is a term I sometimes here from countries where English isn't the primary language. Bear in mind that this word is derived from Latin, French and Middle-English, so probably some Germanic or Nordic influence, so it's no surprise if other European countries have different usages. A lot of borrowing and slight adaption of words from other languages occurs.

I have, however, never heard a steam engine called a "steam motor". In the U.S. people often refer to an ICE as a "motor", this doesn't jar with anyone, since it is a "motorcar".

The modern industry term in the uk now tends to be 'electric machine' going by the experience of recent symposia that I've attended.

Back