Your suggestions and advice for new E-motor company

Jarvis99

1 µW
Hello ES!

First post. There's a guy whom I've just met and I am trying to help him get his new venture going.
So what better place to ask for suggestions and advice than the EV Business World forum on ES?
No-brainer, right? :D

Looking forward to your replies!

Jarvis

Given that existing electric motors can and do exceed 90% efficiency already, it seems like there's very limited reward available here. Is there a potential production cost advantage or something else that might make it worthwhile? To me, it seems like an annular motor would be inherently more expensive to make than a shafted motor.

^^ Hehe... Beat me to it. With any "standard" electric motor already better than 80-90 percent... Any "higher cost? (?) motor versus a slightly larger battery might be a "hard sell". G'Luck!

PS... One example of the "competition":
Magnax, new axial flux motor:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=94512

magnax-axial-flux-motor-6.png

It appears to be able to work well without using neodymium magnets (or samarium cobalt), so if those "bottle-neck" materials ever shoot up in price, then motors with a low percentage of rare materials will suddenly become useful. I'm sure his motor works fine right now as is, but...it has to provide some clear benefit in order to unseat even a fraction of the mass-produced motors on the market right now.

The majority of "buzz" right now in the motor world seems to be about variable reluctance motors. So, I guess that is his competition.

^^ Hehe... and max. torque per RPM... :lol:

Back