19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tir

Postby cal3thousand » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Rix wrote:Just stumbled across this vendor. Looks like he stocks 19x1.6 and 17x1.6 rims laced to 20mmx110mm DH hubs. https://electricrt.myshopify.com/collec ... ont-wheels. Don't know anything about this company though. Has anyone had any experience?

I personally know Alan, the owner. He's a good guy, located in LA. One man operation at the moment. He's active on ES Facebook if you want to chat him up.
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.
cal3thousand
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Postby litespeed » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 pm

He/they built my wheels! Excellent job in my opinion.

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!
litespeed
100 kW
100 kW

Postby brumbrum » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:28 pm

@Baron, Try a knife or grinder on the outer edge of the tyre knobbles IF you do get any rubbing.
Last edited by brumbrum on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
brumbrum
10 kW
10 kW

Postby ecycler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:04 pm

brumbrum wrote:@Baron, Try a knife or grinder on the outer edge of the tyre knobbles IF you do get any rubbing.

That is one way to get rid of the 'chicken strips' hahaha
Any grease is better than no grease.
The best exercises are the ones you enjoy doing.
I strongly prefer vehicles without doors.
ecycler
10 kW
10 kW

Postby parabellum » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:22 pm

brumbrum wrote:@Baron, Try a knife or grinder on the outer edge of the tyre knobbles IF you do get any rubbing.

Good idea, last time I used carpet knife and did cut every knob one by one, it solved the problem but looked very strange esthetically. Grinder may result a good idea, I would spin the tire at good speed and try to grind the edge in question with geometrical caution (in rotation direction). Then share the result with the rest of us. :D
parabellum
1 MW
1 MW

Postby joe81 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:46 am

sorry to interrupt.
wheel builders, i need your guesstimation:
my brand new 19" rear wheel (bldc, single cross lacing) is centered over the motor but not relative to the axle mounting points. spokes on both sides seem to be the same length. the rim must move about 8mm to the left. the guy at the shop i asked to do the centering thinks that is not possible so we didn't try.
what do you think, how much can the rim be moved per each full turn of all the spoke nipples on each side (losen one side and tighten the opposite side)?
joe81
10 W
10 W

Postby Rix » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:09 am

joe81 wrote:sorry to interrupt.
wheel builders, i need your guesstimation:
my brand new 19" rear wheel (bldc, single cross lacing) is centered over the motor but not relative to the axle mounting points. spokes on both sides seem to be the same length. the rim must move about 8mm to the left. the guy at the shop i asked to do the centering thinks that is not possible so we didn't try.
what do you think, how much can the rim be moved per each full turn of all the spoke nipples on each side (losen one side and tighten the opposite side)?

What you are referring to is called "dishing" and its very possible. Bicycle manufactures have to dish the rim to be centered when mounted, even though the gear side (cluster or cog set) side has much more space from the spoke flange to the axle face than the disk brake side. To dish your rim, you will need shorter spokes on the left side to pull the rim over the 8mm you need. Justin's spoke calculator at Grin Cyclery www.ebikes.ca will help you determine the length of spoke needed.
Rix
100 GW
100 GW

Postby kneedeep » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 am

Does anyone know of new suppliers for 12g moped nipples? I am building a set and holmeshobbies no longer carries them.
Chinese Ebay build in progress viewtopic.php?f=12&t=86149 , been through half a dozen scooter ebikes..No More of those.

I like to build it better than I can buy it. I like to think outside the box...Come to think of it where is that box?
kneedeep
10 W
10 W

Postby joe81 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:03 pm

thanks Rix.
the thing is my bike shop here in a small city in china says they cannot source other spokes anyway.
after a long search this is the only shop that i found to have the proper tools and the mechanic seems to know what he is doing (very rare in china..).

..but the description in to the spoke calculator got me thinking.. if really no chance to fix it we could relace with all spokes on one side inside of the flange and on the other side on the outside.. maybe even radial if they are way too short.
i know all that will be bad for the wheel build quality..
joe81
10 W
10 W

Postby Rix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 pm

joe81 wrote:thanks Rix.
the thing is my bike shop here in a small city in china says they cannot source other spokes anyway.
after a long search this is the only shop that i found to have the proper tools and the mechanic seems to know what he is doing (very rare in china..).

..but the description in to the spoke calculator got me thinking.. if really no chance to fix it we could relace with all spokes on one side inside of the flange and on the other side on the outside.. maybe even radial if they are way too short.
i know all that will be bad for the wheel build quality..

All you need are some short spokes for the one side. As far as custom cut to length spokes go, I have sourced them from China, Kingstar is legit as it gets. http://www.ebay.com/usr/kingstar-cn?eui ... xe,ext=ext you can watch a youtube video how to dish a wheel and you would be set.
Last edited by Rix on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
Rix
100 GW
100 GW

Postby brumbrum » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 pm

I just ordered one of these... https://www.electricrt.com/collections/front-wheels/products/19x-1-6-front-moto-rim-20mm-hub which have just been reduced from 200usd to 150

Thinking of getting either one of these front tyres in 70/100 profile...
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-95-113-maxxcross-it
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-97-113-maxxcross-si

Both have a section width of 83mm.

Yes it will add even more weight to my ride, but with the confidence and grip my 3.5" trials tyre has given me i have to try a proper mx tyre on the front.

brumbrum
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Rix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Brumbrum, your machine is seriously wicked, I like it. Some folks dont realize just how big a 3.5" wide rear tire is, from you pic, its obvious.
Rix
100 GW
100 GW

Postby brumbrum » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:21 am

Rix wrote:Brumbrum, your machine is seriously wicked, I like it. Some folks dont realize just how big a 3.5" wide rear tire is, from you pic, its obvious.

As a size comparison, keep in mind the front tyre is not skinny! 24"x3" which has a 26" diameter and a 73mm width(vuelta usa)
Once you go beyond a 3" tyre you are definitely into a new realm, as you yourself stated earlier in this thread. It was a nightmare to mount onto the rim until i finally got my technique down with three tyre irons and a bead buddy. The new tyre is also slightly out of balance, something i can live with but at high speed i can feel a slight oscillation. 12psi is all thats needed as the tyre is designed for this purpose with soft but strong sidewalls with the radial construction. Tread is about 12mm deep. Though the weight penalty of this fat radial tyre may take its toll as time goes on. I picked up the tyre very cheaply as new old stock. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The front maxxis tyres linked to above should in theory be much lighter as they are two ply tyres which i guess means two nylon layers on the sidewalls and two on the tread?
Last edited by brumbrum on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
brumbrum
10 kW
10 kW

Postby litespeed » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 am

Your bike does look awesome brumbrum! That is the same front wheel I have but I did the 19 x 2.75 Shinko 241. Its slightly harder than the rear 17 x 3.00 but feels solid on concrete turns with out wander where the rear is a little more "loose." On the dirt both ends are planted!

I gotta say I dig the monster rear tire and really like the look of full knobbies on our bikes.

I know you already told me but is your mudhugger a short or long one? Look like you have an extension on yours. I was planning on the "long rear mudhugger" and adding the "rear fathugger upgrade kit" if needed for width.

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!
litespeed
100 kW
100 kW

Postby brumbrum » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 pm

litespeed wrote:Your bike does look awesome brumbrum! That is the same front wheel I have but I did the 19 x 2.75 Shinko 241. Its slightly harder than the rear 17 x 3.00 but feels solid on concrete turns with out wander where the rear is a little more "loose." On the dirt both ends are planted!

I gotta say I dig the monster rear tire and really like the look of full knobbies on our bikes.

I know you already told me but is your mudhugger a short or long one? Look like you have an extension on yours. I was planning on the "long rear mudhugger" and adding the "rear fathugger upgrade kit" if needed for width.

Tom

Yes i have had to extend the mud hugger, i used the standard extender, it is also the standard size mudhugger and its still letting a lot of mud get over my back :cry:
Go for the longer version, but the width will be fine for up to a 3" moto tyre. I had to widden mine with a heat gun for the monster truck 3.5 tyre on the rear lol.

Knobbles are great for me, on a 23 mile ride the other day i probably only rode 600m of road. I could never get away with using this bike on public roads without constantly checking over my shoulder to see whose watching.

I just weighed a few tyres i have... Approx rounded up weights as the digital scales i have are very sensative
3.00x17" CST C186 - 3kg
3.00x17" CST C183a - 3kg
3x24" mtb tyre Vuelta usa - 1.5kg
I imagine my vee rubber vrm308 3.5" tyre is 5kg though i have not weighed it.
brumbrum
10 kW
10 kW

Postby FluxZoom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, the search ignores 24". Would a 24" bicycle tire fit on a 20" motorcycle rim? Beyond 16" motorcycle rims and 20" bicycle tires, are there other bicycle tires that fit other motorcycle rim sizes?

Per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html the bead seat diameter for a 24" rim is 507mm or just about 20". I don't know if there is much for 20" motorcycle rims, though.
FluxZoom
10 W
10 W

Postby markz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:06 pm

spinningmagnets did an article on that.

https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims ... hubmotors/
markz
1 GW
1 GW

Previous

Return to E-Bike Technical