Motor braking problem (MXUS V3 and Kelly KLS7230S) (Problem solved!)

VelluK

1 W
I have a motor braking problem on my bike. When I have some throttle on my bike and I set the throttle to zero and again give some throttle when the bike is just freewheeling the motor makes really strong braking and after that start to accelerate again. The braking is really strong and motor gives really bad sound when braking. There should be some settings on the controller which would fix the problem but I have not found it yet.

Motor is MXUS V3 3K Turbo (7,2kV) and controller is Kelly KLS7230S.

Does anyone have any ideas which settings I should change to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me when I forgot to set Motor identification to 170. when you do this you have to keep the wheel off the ground while it's mapping the hall sensors. After about 30s the green LED will come on, after that do a restart and off you go.

Look at page 22 & 23 of the KLS-S manual. http://kellycontroller.com/mot/downloads/KellyKLS-SUserManualV1.10.pdf

Go to 4.3 (Step 3)

(1) RLS_TPS Brk %: Set to 0

Factory setting is 0, changing this may solve the issue if set at any value other than 0.

(7) BRK_SW Brk %: Set to 0

You may only need to change (7) As this activates the regen while free-wheeling at 0% throttle with any brake input, the regen will continue until you throttle up again. I found this terribly annoying as well.

eee291 said:
Same thing happened to me when I forgot to set Motor identification to 170. when you do this you have to keep the wheel off the ground while it's mapping the hall sensors. After about 30s the green LED will come on, after that do a restart and off you go.

Thanks buddy, now the 0% throttle doesn't brake the wheel. I had to make it couple of times because the wheel started to rotate to the wrong direction :D Change Dir -setting and new hall sensor calibration fixed the problem. Cool 8)

I've have the same problem I'd set the angle operation up for motor ages ago but added a thumb throttle for variable regen only just now so should I go through the setup again to recognise the thumb throttle for regen is this the problem? .. I nealy died hard rear braking at 30mph 😬

Sorted anyway thanks the rsl tps brake adjustment from 50 to 0 sorted it for me after doing angle operation again anyway just to be safe

Hi guys,

What can I do if none of two proposed solutions works?
RLS_TPS Brk % was set to zero from the very beginning
BRK_SW Brk % was set to 5 but I set it to zero today
Motor identification was done as a first thing for setting controller up, but I’ve made it again today and made sure value got back to 85

Still kicks and clicks hard every time I add throttle again while freewheeling (struggling with that for 2 years already…)
Also regen brake seems to be a bit rough, when I press the regen button- it starts with a pretty hard kick. I’ve set braking time to 10 (1s) hoping it will get at least softer- but I think it made no difference (or too little one)

The motor is Mxus 5K

What could be a solution?

Fany from support helped me figuring out the issue
Solution was to set non zero value to RLS_TPS Brk %
I set it to 1 so the bike can roll easily
I think it makes controller keep “interacting” with a motor while freewheeling, so when you apply throttle again it only change the way of “interaction” rather then try to start motor that is already running

Back