Help making mismatched throttle/controler work

Thanks, Tek. And I agree with all the connections...what is recommended sounds logical. Just want to make sure I'm not making a stupid mistake of some kind before I give it a try.

Ya - without the doc or communications from the vendor to better understand the controller hookup, it's not possible to evaluate things further at this end.

I think on this second go-round you have a fair grip on the requirements and your solution looks good.

The real problem is that it's not possible to evaluate by measurement whether or not a connection is a 5V input, Vbatt input, or otherwise. In the absence of good doc or having the skills to actually study the PCB and determine the circuitry, there's not much to be done except maybe post up the doc or links you have in hand for this particular controller.

So - barring that one option, time for a quick prayer and just plug it in...

Yep, that pretty well covers it. Logical or not, when the one controller stopped working it worried me, even though I know I had abused it, shorted it out/rewired it and it still worked, it was evidently just about to go out completely and it did. But as people go sometimes, I tended towards wrong wiring being a possibility on why it went out, not the abuse, even though I agreed with the way it was wired, and take full responsibility for it....hence part of my reluctance to jump back in

But turns out the other controller was probably just about to die already and the bike practically jumped of the ground when tested this time around, and in a forward lunge..lots of power. So far so good, but that's as far as I've gone with it.

Trying to wrap up the gas part of this now so I can test them both and if one breaks on a longer test, the other power system should get me back home. I'm at least back to having fun with the build again. :) If it works out I'll likely do a youtube to show it off and will post a link, but at least pop in and let y'all know if the wiring was a tested success or not.

Just gave this another test, and it runs good and strong, no shake but, the throttle drops out completely when I reach about 1/3 of the the throttles travel. I can't tell if it's reaching full speed or not, otherwise I could deal with it by making some kind of stop. If worse comes to worse, I can test drive it to see if I'm getting full speed, but would like to know what I'm dealing with here still.

Is this some kind of "speed" issue? Like something to do with 3 speeds on the controller?

I know I should have waited, but I already ordered another one of these controllers for the other bike so this is a mild "yikes" for me at this point...any ideas?

A bit OT but while I think of it, roughly what speeds should I expect from this trike with 1000w 48v w/nearly 50lbs of batteries that will probably be trailered, about 28lbs of gas engine/parts, and nearly 200lbs of me ...so I'll know if everything is close to right when I test it regardless of or considering the present issue. 15/18 mph?

Just as an FYI for anyone that may need the info, turns out I changed to another exact same throttle and it works fine.

The one that dropped off well before the throttle bottomed out, would certainly be hard to use but it does appear to have been reaching full throttle. I'll open it up and hopefully find something slipped inside but no great loss either way.

Hi guys,

I have a problem with a controller, I don't know how to connect the Anti-theft Cables (two power and three signal).

Could you please help me? :D

teklektik said:
A few minutes searching ES with posts linked to eBay turns up this information:

View attachment 1
  1. Power Cables: big red + big black
  2. Phase Cables: big yellow + big green + big blue
  3. Power-On Cable: middle red (aka 'Electric Door Lock Cable', 'ignition cable')
  4. Hall Cables: small red, small black, small yellow, small green, small blue
  5. Throttle Cables: small red + small blue + small black (aka 'Reverser' Cables)
  6. Speed Cables: blue(high speed)+ black + +yellow(low speed) (aka 'Shifter' Cable)
  7. Brake-Hi Cable: yellow (connect to 12V brake light on scooters)
  8. Brake-Low Cable: Brown or pair Brown & Black (tie Brown to Black (Gnd) to indicate braking)
  9. Anti-theft Cables:Red(Positive) + Black(power) Red(E-Start) + Blue(Motor Lock Signal) + Green(Motor Lock)
  10. Self-Study cable: two white cables with black plugs
  11. E-ABS(Optional): two blue cables matched
  12. Cruise(Optional): two Gray cables connecting together.

• So - hook up your power cables and tie the Power-On wire to battery (+) same as the fat red power wire. A series switch can be added to this wire to implement a kill switch (good idea) or a keylock (I like to use security system switches for this).

This should power up the controller.

• Test your throttle with the tester by hooking up the red, black, and white wires from the throttle to the tester. The third wire on the tester is the signal wire - typically blue, but NOT the red (+5V) or black (Gnd). Turn on the tester and operate the throttle. The LEDS should change color as indicated in the document referenced above ( Using the Lyen Ebike tester). This should work. On the off chance it doesn't, try the other three colored wires on the throttle in place of the white using the tester until you identify the one carrying the throttle signal. We are looking for an output signal here and there is no more than 5V in play, so these particular trial-and-error tests are harmless...

• With the controller running and the throttle wires identified, just hook them up. Assuming the white throttle wire is the proper one:
That should get things going once you do the 'self learn' stuff. The power indicators are another matter and deal with Vbatt(+) which can do Very Bad Things to your controller if connected improperly - not something you want to randomly connect to experiment. I'll leave that for you to sort out, perhaps with the assist of someone with actual knowledge of that throttle - not just guesses.

• EDIT - Also, in the absence of a 3-position switch, you may wish to jumper the blue and black wires of the 'Speed Cable' to remove any power limitations from the default medium power setting that is in play when nothing is connected. Sort of depends on controller programming, but harmless to try if you are not getting full power. These 3-position switches are really just SPDT on-off-on center-off switches if you want to rig one yourself with available parts (black to the middle wiper, blue and yellow to the end contacts for High and low respectively).

Show a picture of your controller wires and connectors, so that each can clearly be seen.

I have Tongsheng TSDZ2 52V 750w mid motor ebike kit with throttle.
I have some problem with throttle (not works)!
Can somebody send me wiring scheme for thumb throttle?
Please write me behind numbers which one is positive wire, which one is negative wire and the signal one on throttle cable?
Thanks

Attachments

• throttle2.jpg
    throttle2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 710
Try here:
https://electricscooterparts.com/throttles.html

Back