Kelly Controller KLS7230S and it's parameters for the powerful use

VelluK

1 W
Kelly says that it's max battery amps are 100 A. Software still allow to set higher value but does the controller still work more powerful?

I have ran the controller so that battery amps have been 100 A and the temperature of the controller have been about 30 C (86 F). So I believe that the controller could handle more power but does anyone have better information about that?

Do you have any good tips what would be a good values for the parameters (for example Bat Current Limit, Motor Normal Curr, etc.)?

You can't hack kellys that easily. I wouldn't even try changing settings beyond 100%

I read somewhere that you can just end up Bricking the Controller.

Max current I've pulled to feed a QS205 50h 3t (w/hubsinks and statorade) and the KLS7230s is 120A @ 84v off a 20s 14p pack. Max speed is 57-60mph depending on SOC and direction of wind. Whole bike weighs around 165lbs. I also use the 3 speed function and have a 5" motorcycle radiator fan just for the controller.

All my connections, shunt, solenoid and fuses are rated for 200A, some are rated for 300A.

I run mine with these basic settings when you go thru the manual:

(3) Current percent: Range (20~100) = 100
(4) Battery Limit: Range (20~100) = 100

(1) RLS_ TPS Brk %: Range (0~50) = 0
(3) Accel Time: Range (1~250) = 1
(4) Accel Rls Time: Range (1~250) = 1
(5) Brake Time: Range (1~250) = 20 for dirt, 5 for street
(6) Brake Rls Time: Range (1~250) = 1
(7) BRK_SW Brk %: Range (0~50) = 30 for dirt, 50 for street

The next bit is for the internal PID adjustments. I haven't played with these yet
(9) Torque Speed KP:
Torque Speed KI:
Speed Err Limit:

Is this KLS7230S controller a great controller, or should I just keep looking?

Plus I'd rather use my desktop pc, like I did with my Lyen
http://kellycontroller.com/kls7230s24v-72v300asinusoidal-brushless-motor-controller-p-1343.html
.You may need a Z-TEK USB to RS232 cable for programming the controller if you want to program the controller on Android Tablet.
8)A 4pin connector to RS232 port and a Z-TEK USB to RS232 cable allows for configuration, programming and software upgrades using the tablet which must be based on Android OS now.People can do the same things on PC software by using a standard USB to RS232 cable instead.

Better be a cheap cable.

The KLS series uses a converter like you said, and it comes in the box with the Controller. This converter is used mainly for PC, it's possible to connect your tablet with the adapter but microusb is wonky as hell.

If you want to use your smartphone or tablet, I suggest the optional bluetooth module for an additional $19usd. the dongle gives a much more stable connection, and best of all I can leave the dongle on the Controller hidden out of sight.

Personally, I think it's a great controller as far as overall performance once you have it dialed in for your setup.

My biggest complaint is the lack of a real time "dashboard" with speed, watts or amps drawn, SOC, motor temp, controller temp, battery gauge, ODO, trip, GPS, ect...

The App is far easier to use than the USB/Serial connection and like previously mentioned, you can leave it plugged in and hidden for changes on the road.

2WheelsMovesTheSoul said:
Max current I've pulled to feed a QS205 50h 3t (w/hubsinks and statorade) and the KLS7230s is 120A @ 84v off a 20s 14p pack.

Talking about Max battery amp of Phase amp?

nmilanche said:

Max battery amp.

KLS7230s max output is 120a Batt. or 300a Phase for 20 seconds

120a @ 84v is roughly 10,080 watts

Only takes about 8 seconds to hit max RPM on the motor.

2WheelsMovesTheSoul said:
nmilanche said:

Max battery amp.

KLS7230s max output is 120a Batt. or 300a Phase for 20 seconds
Ok, its great power for that small size controller. And what is happend after that 20 sec? Controller reduce power himself?

nmilanche said:
Ok, its great power for that small size controller. And what is happens after that 20 sec? Controller reduce power himself?

Yes.

If you keep throttle at 100% the controller lowers current draw to like 100a.

The real limiting factor is heat. On hot summer days (105 F) I could run the system at 50-80% for about 45 mins straight with a few 100% bursts. After 45 mins or so, the controller goes into thermal protection. Bear in mind, this like 40mph to 60mph for 45 mins or 15-20 laps at the local kart track pushing as hard as I can.

Cruising at 20-30mph, I can run all day with no thermal cutoff until the pack runs of juice.

I recently added a 100mm motorcycle oil/radiator cooling fan to try extending the ride time before thermal protection.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0176TA0HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No road tests with the new fan yet, I'll post results later.

Are you using variable breaking or classic switch brakeing? What are the optinost/parameters for variable brakeing modes?
I sow that is some "boost mode" too. What does it mean and what do you need to do to come to that mode?
If I understood you well...the accelerations from 0 are not as powerful as we expect? What about acceleration from mid speeds to high speeds?

nmilanche said:
Are you using variable braking or classic switch braking? Both

What are the optimal/parameters for variable braking modes? Refer to manual

(5) Brake Time: Range (1~250) = 20 for dirt, 5 for street
(6) Brake Rls Time: Range (1~250) = 1
(7) BRK_SW Brk %: Range (0~50) = 30 for dirt, 50 for street

I saw that is some "boost mode" too. What does it mean and what do you need to do to come to that mode?

Can only be used if you setup for 2 speed mode. You use push button/momentary switch to activate "boost mode" it is the same as holding throttle at 100%.

If I understood you well...the accelerations from 0 are not as powerful as we expect?

Acceleration ramp is low. From what I hear on ES, Sabvoton 150a or 200a has better accel ramp.

What about acceleration from mid speeds to high speeds?

Excellent acceleration from 10-15mph to max speed, instant throttle response from 20mph to max.

Back