Geared Bafang hub slipping internally

Fatbike hub..problem is bit like a slipping clutch, will move on flat ground , just spins on a hill.
Replaced gears and freewheel..clutch thingy.
There was no damage to old ones, still doing it.
Possibly the Sun gear?

I can stop the wheel with my hand, motor keeps going.
Any ideas?

Monkeypowah said:
Possibly the Sun gear?

Possibly. It could also be the ring gear around the outside slipping on the hub. I'm not exactly sure how those are attached.

Thanks yes..I ruled that out by using a complete spare internals I have..they work fine in the wheel.
The ring is secured by three small notches in the hub casing .
Going to run it today outside the casing and see if I can hold it with my hands.

Scary.

With it apart, you should be able to test by blocking the rotor with something and trying to turn the wheel backwards against the clutch. You would need to clamp the axle with something.

Hmmm.
Its not slipping, just making a weird noise that sounds like its still running.
You can easily stop it with your hand.

Odd.
Just going to buy another one..got18 months serious use out of it.

Well i'd consider running a MAC instead. It's the best built geared motor out there, and very likely much more powerful.

I have thought of that..its a bit difficult to tell..if you stop the rotor it all gets a bit melty wirey very quick.

Sounds to me like maybe the key on the axle sheared. you should have easily seen that when it was apart though, if that is it.

Yes that was my first thought also, the keyway. I have sheared this on a mac and it can even work for a while under small loads depending on how its sheared and then it will finally fail totally.

Back