Hall sensor died today

Talon

10 W
Today while riding my URB-E PRO GT one or more of my hall effect sensors suddenly died. The motor just stopped and became notchy when I turned my 10" rear DD motor by hand. I had to walk the bike about a mile to get it home. I have just purchased a 12F dual function controller from PowerVeloCity 2 weeks earlier and it needs to be installed. I know that I can run the URB-E because it has a sensorless option. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and can change all three. I have a soldering iron and a multi-meter. My question is...... How do I know which sensors to buy? Are they latched or unlatched? Is some sensors better than others? Is Ebay the best place to buy them? I want to install the new PV controller and drive the URB-E in the sensorless mode until I receive the new Hall Sensors in the mail. I have a 800w hub motor with a 10" tire powered by a new Luna 52v 13.5ah battery. The hub motor is rated at 48v. I also have a new CA 2.4 just installed last week. It is reading the signal off the Hall Sensor to compute my MPH because my wheels and tires are so small. Could this setup help the sensors to go bad quicker? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Are you sure it's the hall sensors? If it's notchy it could be the controller or a shorted phase wire. In most cases the halls will not cause a drag on the motor. try disconnecting the phse wires and see if the drg/notchy goes away. There are ways to test the halls and the phase wires as well as the controller but I'm not the guy to explain how. I can do it but not at telling how. I would replace the controller after testing the phase wires for shorts.

Dan

I disconnected the Hall Sensor plug and it made no difference. When I disconnected 2 Phase wires the dragging and notchy feeling stopped. I assumed that the problem was a bad Hall Sensor. I will put the new PV 12F controller on tomorrow. The controller on it now is a 2 year old PV 6FET. The controller was barely warm to the touch when the problem first occurred.

phase wiring shorted

from controller

possibly blown fet

Back