Kelly KLS7230S controller "pedel error" issues

thender

100 mW
After setting up a KLS7230S controller, and attaching it to the control box and tablet, I get pedel error anytime I engage the throttle and the motor does not move.

I have used this same Bafang BBSHD motor with an ASI BAC800 as well as a stock controller, and it does spin.

What does pedel error mean? Where do you start with pedel error? I read the documentation and the word "pedel error" or pedal error do not show up, so I do not know what to make of this error.

I have 57v hooked up to + and - of the controller, 12v hooked up to the control box, and the hall sensor wires run from the BBSHD motor core to the Kelly controller using a harness/connector I ripped off of another controller.

Also: when I try to utilize the Windows PC software, it says "read error" anytime I try to run it without anything else. I have installed the drivers for the USB to RS232 adapter as well as unplugged every other USB to RS232/serial device from the machine. I can use this same machine to "program" the stock BBSHD controller, but with this one, it gives "read error" each time.

Has anyone else ever had these issues with this or similar model Kelly Controllers? Do you have any suggestions as to where to start here?

Thank you!

thender said:
After setting up a KLS7230S controller, and attaching it to the control box and tablet, I get pedel error anytime I engage the throttle and the motor does not move.

What does pedel error mean? Where do you start with pedel error? I read the documentation and the word "pedel error" or pedal error do not show up, so I do not know what to make of this error.

Thank you!

2WheelsMovesTheSoul said:
agniusm said:
I get the error "Pedel error".

What is Pedel Error ???
https://kellycontroller.com/wp-content/uploads/kls-s/KellyKLS-SUserManualV1.10.pdf

I don't see Pedel Error in the manual.

Do you mean "Throttle Error at Power-up" (2 red flash - wait - 4 red flash) ????

If yes, go to page 17

(6)TPS Low Err: Hall active pedal "or throttle", if lower than the value, report the fault of TPS Type. Range: 0~20
(7)TPS High Err: Hall active pedal "or throttle", if higher than the value, report the fault of TPS Type. Range: 80~100

Our controller will report error code if the output of hall throttle is below 0.5V or above 4.5V by default. The controller will think the hall throttle is shorted or damaged if the output is beyond the range from 0.5V to 4.5V. You can adjust the threshold voltage below or above 0.5V. The controller will report the 3.3 code to protect the system according to different types of hall throttle.

Then go to page 18

(9)TPSDeadLow: TPS Dead Zone Low. Range:5~40 factory default is 20%*5V=1.0V.
(10)TPSDeadHigh: TPSDeadZoneHigh. Range:60~95 factory default is 80%*5V=4.0V.

You need to meter the throttle output voltage at 0% throttle and at 100% throttle. Take those high and low voltages values and match those to the ranges on (6) (7) (9) and (10). This may take some time to fine tune, but the controller will accept a wide variety of throttles when considering these adjustable parameters.

No, it gives pedel error. It does three red flashes, wait, three red flashes, wait.

I am using the KLS-S control box that it comes with as a throttle from Kelly. I have provided a video below of the control box & error readout on the controller and tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtA4ZC4NQb8

Hey Louis!

I think I know what the issue is.

This wouldn't be happening if you weren't testing it with the Kelly tester which uses a analog (Potentiometer) signal instead of a more common digital (Hall effect) signal.
To fix this issue change the setting that says ''TPS Type'' to 3-wire 0-5K Pot 0-5V (default setting is 2) change it to 1 and you should be good to go.

Also, you are using a 8Kw+ Controller on a Bafang? lol

That did it! Thank you so much!

Yes, but I doubt I will ever set this to use more than 60 amps with this motor. I tried the stock one, but the square wave killed rotors like crazy even if I had it set to 20 amp limit(60 amp was the most I tried), even if I slooooooowly revved up the throttle. I tried the ASI BAC800, but they are absolutely horrible when it comes to support or ability to program/change options - even if you offer to pay them, you get nowhere. The Kelly seemed easily programmable, sinewave, and without unnecessary locks/misery when it comes to accessing the software, so I figured I'd try it and see how it works... but definitely not trying to put 8000w through a BBSHD.

....But it would be fun to see it smoke trying. :mrgreen:

:bigthumb: The Pedal Error on Kelly Controller was a problem for me also.... After reading this article here... I’m happy to say this change from the TPS Type 2 setting changing it to “Type 1” Was a relief for me because it cleared the Pedal Alarm!!!!🙏🙏👍👍

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!
🥳

Hey Louis!

I think I know what the issue is.

This wouldn't be happening if you weren't testing it with the Kelly tester which uses a analog (Potentiometer) signal instead of a more common digital (Hall effect) signal.
To fix this issue change the setting that says ''TPS Type'' to 3-wire 0-5K Pot 0-5V (default setting is 2) change it to 1 and you should be good to go.

Also, you are using a 8Kw+ Controller on a Bafang? lol
Great answer!

Not exactly, I incorrectly called the hall signal a digital one even though it is also analog.
The difference is mechanical.
A small voltage is clipped at the top and bottom range by the hall sensor, the controller expects this, if instead it reads 5v at WOT it'll throw a fault because it could indicate that the 5v line is shorted to the signal line.

Back