LCD display problem

torjan

10 µW
Hi,
so I have an ebike 36v 250w hub.
after a rain day, some water got into the LCD and then it start first by shutting down then, it is not working anymore.
keeping the LCD for a day in sun light, helped a little, when connected it light's up for a while then again same problem.
no way to find a similar model on ebay for sale.
The display has a 10 pin connector, with 9 wires connected to the controller.
Maybe with the model name I can find one, but there is no reference on the screen.
Here some pics, now I need help how I can replace the screen.
48075062907_29646085a2_o.png

48075058752_c907d43805_b.jpg

48074956746_d152fb7948_b.jpg

so today, I end up by following the wires. First, the hub is connected only to the three phase wires (Green, blue, yellow) + 3 small wires (black, red, white), they are connected, directly to the LCD display (5V, SP, D-). My understanding it's a sensorless motor and controller. the three wires are for a single Hall sensor for wheel speed signal.

The LCD display has 8 wires.
RX (probably DAT) (receive data)
TX (transfer data)
D- (negative)
D+ (positive)
DS (controller door lock???)
DD (light????)
5V
SP ????

Now I think I can install a new 6 wire LCD which I can buy on ebay, but what about the speed signal 5V and SP wires missing from the display, what I should do.
48080401631_648aea3eb2_b.jpg

48080426908_cf5d744f35_b.jpg

It's highly unlikely you can get just the display. You would probably have to get a whole new controller with a display.

Since you took it apart and the insides are dried out, it might start working again. Next time anything electronic gets wet, disconnect the battery as soon as possible and let things dry out. Moisture plus voltage leads to rapid corrosion of the tiny copper traces on the board. Sometimes you can visually see them and fix them. Sometimes it creates a path where one should not be and can fry the chip.

Okay, I'm keeping updating my last solutions. Actually I disconnected the three wire speed sensor coming from the wheel hub connected to the LCD display. The screen works as it should now, but lost the speed indication and the traveled distance.

Now my question, is it the screen that's defective or the speed sensor on the wheel ?
I can get an external speed sensor like this one, but I will wait maybe someone has an idea.
61XI5uPYndL._SX425_.jpg

The Speed sensor is virtually bullet proof. If you have a meter, you could plug the sensor back in, tap into the signal and see if it wiggles once per revolution when the wheel turns. If it does ,that would mean the speed sensor circuit in your display has problems.

docw009 said:
The Speed sensor is virtually bullet proof. If you have a meter, you could plug the sensor back in, tap into the signal and see if it wiggles once per revolution when the wheel turns. If it does ,that would mean the speed sensor circuit in your display has problems.

hi Thanks for your reply, so today was my first day taking the bike to go to work. All worked good, but the LCD display was fad sometimes. When I check the voltage of the battery provided by the display I see a big fluctuation, starting from 41,2 and it can goes until 50v.
I think anyway I'm going to buy a new LCD, unfortunately I will not get the speed sensor connected to the LCD as I can't find one on internet with speed sensor wires, most of the LCDs sold have only 4, 5 or 6 wires (my guess 4 for the display D+ D- TX RX, one for the light signal, and one for the brake signal).

fechter said:
It's highly unlikely you can get just the display. You would probably have to get a whole new controller with a display.

Since you took it apart and the insides are dried out, it might start working again. Next time anything electronic gets wet, disconnect the battery as soon as possible and let things dry out. Moisture plus voltage leads to rapid corrosion of the tiny copper traces on the board. Sometimes you can visually see them and fix them. Sometimes it creates a path where one should not be and can fry the chip.

hi,
Actually this is exactly what I did, remove the battery and wait until it get dry, my mistake is that I underestimated the amount of water inside, now the screens works, it gets fad sometime.
for now I will appreciate keeping this sensorless controller, as my hub is sensorless, I like the setup and the bike works just great.
thanks for the reply

Back