Question -n Using ebike pack to top up 12V trolling battery (AGM) via MPPT solar charge controller.

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
chvidgov.bc.ca   10 kW

10 kW

Question -n Using ebike pack to top up 12V trolling battery (AGM) via MPPT solar charge controller.

Post by chvidgov.bc.ca » Aug 16 2019 6:09pm

I would like to use my big ebike packs to top up (in real time as I am trolling) an AGM gel cell 12v Battery...Can I just run the ebike pack through an MPPT charge controller directly to the AGM pack in parallel, along with my trolling motor from the AGM pack, as I am running the motor? Assuming the MPPT controller has adequate max voltage capability well beyond my lithium pack (say 100V MPPT vs 58.8 maxV lithium...that would give me a lot of extra trolling range...thanks

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Question -n Using ebike pack to top up 12V trolling battery (AGM) via MPPT solar charge controller.

Post by John in CR » Aug 16 2019 10:40pm

Sounds like a bad idea to me. First, isn't the 100V solar charge controller meant to charge a higher voltage bank of lead acid than a single 12V battery? Second, the voltage of the lithium pack doesn't seem like a good match. Third, what limits the current, since the ebike pack can deliver enough current to kill itself?

Instead of an expensive piece of electronics, a better option may be cheap DC/DC converters that convert the ebike pack voltage to 12V? Depending on the current draw of the trolling motor, you might even want several DC/DC converters in parallel.

An even better option would be a couple of Nissan Leaf modules in series as your battery. Then you get even more range without risk to your ebike pack, with no electronics to fail, a slightly higher working voltage for a bit better performance, and a simple cheap system with no electronics to fail out on the water...all in less size and weight than the AGM battery.

chvidgov.bc.ca   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Question -n Using ebike pack to top up 12V trolling battery (AGM) via MPPT solar charge controller.

Post by chvidgov.bc.ca » Aug 17 2019 10:26am

Thanks for your assistance...I failed my first attempt with a 48V to 12V DC DC convertor rated at 30 amps out, used to power golf carts. It ran for a while, but failed when my Minnekota was run at 100% for several minutes against a tidal current. I suppose if I hooked up two DCDCs of this size, it might be ok. Could I used two DCDCs with one ebike pack simultaneously?

An MPPT would be designed to put out around 14V, designed for lead acid, with a wide input range up to 100V. Not sure if it would limit the current of the pack though to some sensible amount say 10 amps.

I do have a bunch of old Headways that I could reconfigure for 12V pack as a winter project, but then I need a 12V BMS and a new charger, also a reasonable proposition. Or I could just buy a big lithium 12V LiFP04 (100amp hours) made for this purpose I suppose.

Voltron   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Voltron » Aug 17 2019 2:56pm

MPPT controllers actually already are very high efficiency DC DC converters, with broad input range, and low heat losses.

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Aug 17 2019 4:53pm

chvidgov.bc.ca wrote:
Aug 17 2019 10:26am
I do have a bunch of old Headways that I could reconfigure for 12V pack as a winter project, but then I need a 12V BMS and a new charger, also a reasonable proposition. Or I could just buy a big lithium 12V LiFP04 (100amp hours) made for this purpose I suppose.
A 4s pack like that needs no BMS. You just act as the BMS. I only mentioned the Leaf modules, which are 2s and 60+ah, because they are the cheapest way to buy significant capacity. It sounds like a perfect use of your old headways though.