How to limit the power of a controller on-the-go ?

moutiaxel

1 µW
Hi guys,

First, to explain what I want to do and why :
I want to buy or build a 10kW+ "ebike", but I live in France and the law is pretty strict about ebikes (250W max, 25km/h max speed) and I can't register it as a motorcycle because it is almost impossible, so I want to find a way to be able to change theses settings simply and quickly, for example if I want to ride in a private area where I can legally use it at full power and then go back on public road with a power limitation.

For now I have settled on a sabvoton 72V 150A controller, but I can use something else if it is needed.

I thought I could use something like a Raspberry Pi to reprogram it using a simple program and a button, but there may be simpler ways.

What do you guys think ?

3 speed switch, sab should have them. You might be able to program it to a very low power output, just enough to reach 25kmh.

If your bike is easily switchable it's probably still illegal. And you will be much safer on the street with 10kw than 250w so I recommend that.

If you actually want to do 250w on the street, you would want a much lighter bike than something that can burst 10kw.

The key is not a switch, but to see police before they see you, slow down to 25 kph and spin the pedals.

Well, to be honest with you, I planned to do that and what I actually wanted to have is a "secret" switch to flip just in case I am being pulled over and they test the bike on a dynamometer but I wasn't sure if I am allowed to ask that...

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A5010 en utilisant Tapatalk

moutiaxel said:
Well, to be honest with you, I planned to do that and what I actually wanted to have is a "secret" switch to flip just in case I am being pulled over and they test the bike on a dynamometer but I wasn't sure if I am allowed to ask that...

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A5010 en utilisant Tapatalk

And another switch to de-power the throttle. If they ask, it is a regen function. Maybe even wire it up as one. (Once you switch it.)

Consider that the police may not even bother testing your bike before confiscation if they see you doing 100kph. Or whatever speed.

In any case they very likely won't bother testing it on a dyno.

Better to avoid the confrontation in the first place. There are 3 key parts:
1, dressed like a cyclist and with bike that looks like bicycle. Appearance is most of your battle.
2, slowing down near police.
3, spinning the pedals.

If your rides conform to those criteria it is unlikely you will be stopped and hassled about your powertrain.

Yeah, I know its not so cheap to insure in EU, but seriously, get a legal ride for 10,000w or more. Meaning a gas motorcycle or scooter. Those cops will not need a dynamometer to see your bike is a homemade motorcycle with pedals.

Or two ebikes. Compared to the off road bike, the second legal ebike will be cheap. Just come up with a way they can share the battery so you save that cost. Maybe make up your 250w bikes battery out of last years battery from the fast bike. I would definitely make the second bike with the three speed switch, in a hard to find location. Have it be 250w to 1000w. Its motor will not be a dead give away. Re the secret switch, it does not need to be a switch. just a jumper wire that goes into a plug. It can hide in the handlebar tape, then if you need to, you just yank out the jumper. You can jump a little jst plug with a piece of wire that keeps a loaf of bread bag closed.

Back