Controlling PAS

Ozzzz

100 W
Without a display? I want to try PAS only, without throttle or display. But PAS is horrible. It takes off to quick and sudden, it took off when I was sitting idle and put too much pressure on the pedal.. with the handlebars at too much angle, and threw me hard past the bars... and it keeps powering for a few seconds after pedaling stops which is mostly ok so far but a bit dodgy around heavy/slow/ foot traffic. I ride it all times feathering the brake while in PAS mode.

Would I find a controller factory set up to offer better PAS? (36v/250W)
Or be able to modify my current controller in some way?
Or even.. are different PAS rings better than others (eg.12 pole v's 6)?

cheers

Cycle Analyst v3, will let you custom adjust this among many other aspects, for any controller.

Including being able to dial or step the assist level up and down while riding.

Torque-based sensors are the best way to go.

Ozzzz said:
Would I find a controller factory set up to offer better PAS? (36v/250W)
Or be able to modify my current controller in some way?
Or even.. are different PAS rings better than others (eg.12 pole v's 6)?

cheers

A PAS with torque sensing and a controller that supports torque sensing is probably the way to go for PAS only riding. Can't help with your second question, not enough info. For your third question, maybe, depending on what controller you have (if the controller has actual cadence sensing), but not likely, based the info provided.

I was reading posts in another forum about Bromptom's attempt to build a assist system that would not have all the problems Ozz mentioned. It's not easy to make it idiot proof. The other day, I spun the pedals on a cadence sensor bike, thinking I had turned it off, and it ran away from me. It did fall over. :)

Cadence sensor on a 5 level KT controller with "torque sim" works OK for me. I can use level 1 for fairly slow speed riding, but you know, it's become a habit to lightly squeeze the brakes to disable the motor.

Yeah, not familar with how they are setup but mine seems to get going after it passes one magnet but it's got no display PAS control so I'm thinking it's at full power. In the wrong position/limited circumstances it's deadly! The bike came with this generic brushless controller (which prob wont help much). Iv'e looked around at torque sensors, BB designs and this chainring kit: https://www.elecycles.com/electric-bike-torque-sensor-kit.html

My other bike with a TS PAS is really nice, a much nicer & safer ride. Was just considering any simpler/cheapest fixes with what Iv'e got but iv'e not heard of anyone recommend other PAS systems than swapping CS to TS.

(thanks)

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 4.46.50 am.png

Back