Full suspension mtb conversion 1000w?

karmonkey

1 mW
Hello! Im from spain and recently purchased an ebike with a 500w hub motor. I really like it bit my back its hurting since it is a rigid frame.

I do have a full suspension mtb from 2007 that is sitting in the garage for a very long time and i want to transform it in an ebike.

I do need help because i dont know much about bikes even less of electrics, but i was riding electric radiocontrolled cars for a lomg time so i do know the basics of electronic devices.

I want a fast bike, not bother so much about long runs... about 30kmh will be enouhg.

What do i have to look before ordering a motor?

I do want a good motor and a good speed controller, then i will purchase good brakes.

This is the bike:
c2ed15186686b9509ea5cfa5c751d1a1.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

Your bike looks like a good candidate for your conversion, given your modest range requirements. I would first solve the battery location issue before ordering parts. The triangle has decent size, but the shock could be an issue depending on what route you go on the battery (triangle pack may not fit, but if it's close, some folks get a little extra room with a trick of reversing the shock.

Maybe print out the pattern of this battery, which would give you some perspective on what you could fit or if you can go larger:
https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-52v-14s5p-jumbo-shark-ebike-battery/

It doesn't look like something like this would fit, but you'll know more after you do some measurements:
https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s6p-small-triangle-pack/

Other battery options include carrying them in a backpack instead of on the bike.

For everything else, I think you'll need to supply more information for usable advice. Things like budget and the terrain where you will be riding, on or off road, etc.

The ebike motor simulator is a helpful tool for checking whether a particular configuration will meet your needs. This is set to a typical 9 continent rear direct drive hub, 52 volt battery (similar to the link) and 35 amp controller. You can change various settings, like rider weight, grade, wheel size, etc. to see how the motor will run, and whether it will over heat under those circumstances:

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=M2707&batt=B5216_GA&cont=C35

E-HP said:
Your bike looks like a good candidate for your conversion, given your modest range requirements. I would first solve the battery location issue before ordering parts. The triangle has decent size, but the shock could be an issue depending on what route you go on the battery (triangle pack may not fit, but if it's close, some folks get a little extra room with a trick of reversing the shock.

Maybe print out the pattern of this battery, which would give you some perspective on what you could fit or if you can go larger:
https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-52v-14s5p-jumbo-shark-ebike-battery/

It doesn't look like something like this would fit, but you'll know more after you do some measurements:
https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s6p-small-triangle-pack/

Other battery options include carrying them in a backpack instead of on the bike.

For everything else, I think you'll need to supply more information for usable advice. Things like budget and the terrain where you will be riding, on or off road, etc.

The ebike motor simulator is a helpful tool for checking whether a particular configuration will meet your needs. This is set to a typical 9 continent rear direct drive hub, 52 volt battery (similar to the link) and 35 amp controller. You can change various settings, like rider weight, grade, wheel size, etc. to see how the motor will run, and whether it will over heat under those circumstances:

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=M2707&batt=B5216_GA&cont=C35
Wow!! Thats a really good answer, thank you so much i apreciate it.

Sadly the shark batery wont fit my frame.

I would like to order a custom batery if its possible, a naked one, and then i will design a case with my 3d printer.

Im mostly using this bike to go work, but sure i will take it offroad. So i will use street tires.

Stop!! Waste of that bike to put a hub motor in it. Will mess up your handling and prevent the rear wheel from smoothly following terrain and handling obstacles.

Mid drive for that nice MTB for sure. Bafang, CYC, even TDSZ2 if you want torque sensing pedals.

Yes it will. Plenty of room in frt. of the main downtube. There is already water bottle mounting lugs there.
The controller and extra wire can go in a bag in the frame center space.

flat tire said:
Stop!! Waste of that bike to put a hub motor in it. Will mess up your handling and prevent the rear wheel from smoothly following terrain and handling obstacles.

Mid drive for that nice MTB for sure. Bafang, CYC, even TDSZ2 if you want torque sensing pedals.

+1 on this.

flat tire said:

I do apreciate your advice, but my back its broken, i do have one hernial disc on my low back that its driving me crazy. So im not going to make trails or rought terrain as i use to did. Mostly using it to go to work and have a ride around the mountain. Im not into downhilling anymore.
I do have an ebike with hub motor and you are totally right, you dont have any feelings, but i want a powerfull ebike +50kmh.

motomech said:
Yes it will. Plenty of room in frt. of the main downtube. There is already water bottle mounting lugs there.
Well im the triangle it wont fit, i check it printing the dimension of the battery and it wont. I will need to order a custom battery.

Which motor could i use that gives me +50kmh? I weight less that 80kg.

Thank you

karmonkey said:
motomech said:
Well im the triangle it wont fit, i check it printing the dimension of the battery and it wont. I will need to order a custom battery.

Thank you

Most of them will give you that speed if you feed them enough voltage, and the current to support it. Some may meltdown after getting there. Maybe play with the simulator and get a little more of an idea of what combination of components will fit on you bike and what kind of custom battery can be mounted, so there's more to go on.

Here's a little 250 watt bafang geared drive, 63kph at 72volts, for 3 minutes...

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?batt=B7223_AC&cont=C40&hp=0&motor=MG01_STD

karmonkey said:
I do apreciate your advice, but my back its broken, i do have one hernial disc on my low back that its driving me crazy. So im not going to make trails or rought terrain as i use to did. Mostly using it to go to work and have a ride around the mountain. Im not into downhilling anymore.
I do have an ebike with hub motor and you are totally right, you dont have any feelings, but i want a powerfull ebike +50kmh.

If your back is that bad why not build an electric recumbent bike or trike with suspension? Then you can go fast in total comfort.

karmonkey said:
motomech said:

Thank you

Hay espacio frente al tubo inferior principal. Ya hay terminales de montaje para botellas de agua allí. entre la rueda y el chasis

Motor ? How much money you got ? 700.00usd battery and a middrive many different prices and quality and battery too get one with throttle. Em3ev makes good batteries. Custom if needed maybe small custom double wide 18650 you bow-legged lover. Your knees will never touch again. Imean even I can swim thru. Gey one with throttle.

Like the SlowCo says, if you have spinal issues recumbent may be better. Well supported and of course you can remove / add support as needed.

As a bonus recumbents are significantly lower drag and since you don't intend to ride hard or over bumps their main disadvantages (no standing, very limited body position adjustment) are not an issue.

flat tire said:
Like the SlowCo says, if you have spinal issues recumbent may be better. Well supported and of course you can remove / add support as needed.

As a bonus recumbents are significantly lower drag and since you don't intend to ride hard or over bumps their main disadvantages (no standing, very limited body position adjustment) are not an issue.
I dont know what it is a recumbent! But im not into trikes! Im 38 yo, i was fpr 3 days in the hospital last november with morfine and other drugs. Now im way better but, i bought an ebike with only front suspension that goes almost 40kmh and i need to stand up every time that i take a small hole in the road because it hits me my back hard at that speed.

Im thinking to spend about 1000 euros, i have seen that chinese motors are so cheap, but for batterys i will get some european manufacturer.
I have been looking and a 1000w or even a 1500w will be good.

Back