Thumb throttle, battery level indicator questions

Harry94025

1 µW
Hi Guys,
I am installing a BMS Q100, 36 volt hub motor on a Xootr Swift folding bike. I hooked things up and it runs ok, but I have a couple of questions.

1) The controller is an S-KU63. The parts included a thumb throttle, as well as Pedal Assist Sensor. If the thumb throttle is used, does this mean the PAS isn’t used? The controller’s wiring color codes are largely inconsistent so I can’t tell how to connect the PAS.

Some riding areas require e-bikes to be pedal assisted so I would like to know how/if the PAS can be integrated.

2) The thumb throttle has three LED battery level indicators. How are these connected to the system?

Photos:
ATTACH]

I don't know about that specific controller, but when there is a PAS and a throttle, they almost always are used together, with the throttle overriding the PAS.

Hi Harry94025,
And welcome to the forum!

Here is a wiring diagram for your controller. :)

index.php

A throttle and PAS sensor use 2 different types of electrical output for operation and are not interchangeable. The controller must support each type of control, which according to the wiring diagram yours does.

As far as the throttle wiring, this may help...

u6IE36X.jpg

DO NOT mix the YELLOW, BROWN and GREEN throttle wires (high voltage) with the rest terminating in your white connector :warn:
(low voltage)

As your wise to point out, wiring colors are highly inconsistent between manufactures and can't be trusted.
For throttle wiring pointers on how to determine which wire is which in detail... see this thread.

https://electricbike.com/forum/foru...r-throttle-operation-testing-and-modification

If unsure, please ask BEFORE you throw on the power switch! :wink:

I see 3 pictures in your original post... missing the first one?

Regards,
T.C.

TommyCat, LeftieBiker,

Thanks very much for your replies. After seeing the diagram I went down to my shop and tried the battery level connection and it worked. Having the LED lights will remind me to turn off the battery as well. I’m thinking of not using the PAS right now, but will be using the switch in the throttle assembly as my kill switch in that circuit since I decided not to use the brake lever switches.

The bike is a lot of fun to ride around! Haven’t tried any hills yet, but I’m sure the assist will help. I had seen an English Xootr Swift e-conversion and tried to contact the company (Conv-E) but they are apparently no longer business so I had to make my own... :wink:

0169DAE6-D954-4C5A-B6AF-DB44DA4DF5B2.jpeg

Nice. A couple of comments:

* If the kit was originally intended for lead acid batteries, then the battery level lights will work a little differently. You'll still be able to use them, but when you start to see the red light under anything but maximum load, you want to stoop soon and recharge. Don't ride it until the green light is no longer lit at all.

* That kind of seat post battery case tends to break at the seatpost support, and destroy the battery by dropping it on the road. Find a way to reinforce it.

Back