Geared hub motor noise under load (video)

dv1

1 µW
Hello everyone I'm looking for some help identifying what this noise is from my first and recently completed diy. I haven't had any issues with it up until I was caught in some rain a few days ago. Since then the motor makes a loud noise with any added weight but no noise when lifted off the ground. I lost most power to the throttle for a brief moment the day I was out there but it started working again a minute or 2 later after turning it off. I opened up the motor and the gears looked fine but did notice some condensation inside. I tried letting the motor air out for 2 days until riding it on the 3rd day. All seemed fine until I was 3 miles in then the noises started. At first it was like a sound of rubber on rubber then soon after to the sound heard in the video. The kit has higo connectors but my battery connector did get wet. The xt60 male connector had some green residue when I unplugged it. I opened the controller after the noise began so I'm unsure if water got in. The display (sw900) goes just above 200 watts initially but quickly goes and stays at a constant 049 watts no matter how much throttle is given. The two things I've done is let the motor air out and trying another battery. I don't really know where to go from here. Appreciate any help.

[youtube]4NRnCVg8zTE[/youtube]

Does the motor still function normally other than the noise?

Or does it fail to do what it used to do?

If the latter, perhaps the motor is switching directions, so it isn't applying power forward, but instead is spinning bckwards, and the freewheeling clutch is not allowing motor rotation to spin the wheel. Thsi is usually caused by hall sensor problems, which in turn are usually caused by connection or wire issues.

Alternately, the clutch itself could be failing, either from contamination that is causing it to slip, or actual breakage.

The power reading being wrong indicates one of these, most likely:
--the controller is not getting corect readings from it's internal shunt, which wil cause it to respond to throttle or PAS incorrectly, as well as not send the right data to the LCD.
--the LCD is not receiving valid data from the controller, which could be a connection or wiring problem, or a failure in either ocntroller or LCD.
--the system is actually not drawing any more power than it says it is, because it isn't functioning (not running the motor/driving the wheel).

You might have broken the shear pin inside, where the gears assembly meets the shaft. Or the clutch. Doesn't sound like classic stutter so much, but it could be.

Mine is doing the same thing I have it narrowed down to an electrical problem. What is happening is the phases aren't in sequence usually due to a bad hull effect sensor or controller

You might not believe it but I found the problem for mine the magnets inside the motor spin around under torque they have disconnected from the shell of the motor

Back